Alt-history writing project

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Captain Wheelgun

Re: Alt-history writing project

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

randy wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:10 pm Re-read the first 2 and finished #3 last night.

Only 2 nits to pick:

1. You kept me up WAY too late as I lost track of time reading.

2. You are not already taking my money for the next one

:mrgreen:
Thank you, Randy.

1. Sorry (Not sorry) :twisted:

2. Working out ideas for book 4 now.

If you haven’t already done so, please leave a review on Amazon.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
randy

Post by randy »

Review posted. I see a one star review. Must be French.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Captain Wheelgun

randy wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:15 pm Review posted. I see a one star review. Must be French.
It’s not even an actual review, just a drive-by rating. All the actual reviews are 5 star so far.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
BDK

Post by BDK »

AFAIK, a NO2 and kerosene rocket won’t work. NO2 chills air, to increase its density, but doesn’t burn.

I get that you’re using it in atmosphere, but I don’t think it would be able to get…. Maybe you could do something very hinky but I don’t think anyone’s tried it.

Kerosene is an interesting idea instead of the ethanol of the v-2/the gasoline of Goddard.

(I think Goddard had a patent claiming to use gasoline/NO2 engine, but I don’t think he built one.)
Captain Wheelgun

BDK wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:16 am AFAIK, a NO2 and kerosene rocket won’t work. NO2 chills air, to increase its density, but doesn’t burn.

I get that you’re using it in atmosphere, but I don’t think it would be able to get…. Maybe you could do something very hinky but I don’t think anyone’s tried it.

Kerosene is an interesting idea instead of the ethanol of the v-2/the gasoline of Goddard.

(I think Goddard had a patent claiming to use gasoline/NO2 engine, but I don’t think he built one.)
Nitrous oxide is actually a very good oxidizer for rockets, commonly used in hybrid designs today. With the right catalyst or at high temperatures it decomposes exothermically into nitrogen and oxygen.

See the Wikipedia article here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide

And a paper from a DARPA study contract for a propane / nitrous oxide rocket here: https://tfaws.nasa.gov/TFAWS06/Proceedi ... _Herdy.pdf

Kerosene / N2O has a sea level specific impulse of 250 seconds, about the same as kerosene/ H2O2, and N2O is much safer to handle than concentrated H2O2.