Taboo

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Darrell

Taboo

Post by Darrell »

Anybody watch Taboo on FX? Wow, fascinating show IMO. Made by the BBC, it's got voodoo, incest, blood and guts, the East India Company and intrigue, all in early 1800s England. Tom Hardy stars in it. The finale/season finale aired last night, I gather they're talking about two more seasons now.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Jered

Re: Taboo

Post by Jered »

So, it's like Game of Thrones, but with gunpowder, and without dragons?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Well, gunpowder does play a role in the plot, yes.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Darrell wrote:Well, gunpowder does play a role in the plot, yes.
Is there also Treason?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Am I the only one who has never seen Game of Thrones?
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

rightisright wrote:Am I the only one who has never seen Game of Thrones?
I wanted to when I saw Sean Bean was in it, then didn't have HBO anymore. Then he dies (he is always Richard Sharpe to me)... so I didn't care.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

No you're not. I wanted to read it I am NOT paying those prices for a Kindle book.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

No.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Taboo has nothing to do with GOT. It is a very dark, gritty look at two sides of 1814 England--the upper crust of the East India Company, plus the Crown, vs. that of dirty, waterside London, with a little War of 1812 mixed in, with bits of slavery, African voodoo and incest thrown into the mix. It's the story of a man who was on an illicit slavers' ship, was then a slave in Africa, who then returned to London with a personal mission to accomplish.

As for GOT: I have read all the books, and grown pretty tired of them--they're an ordeal to read anymore. I have never sat down and watched the shows, but have seen many of the high points on Youtube. I think the shows have outrun the books.

The two things the shows do have in common--Oona Chaplin (Charlie Chaplin's grand daughter), the foxy brunette who played Robb Stark's squeeze/bride on GOT. She plays Tom Hardy's half sister on Taboo. The second is the head of the East India Company, played by the same guy (Jonathan Pryce) who played the High Sparrow on GOT.

A bit off topic, perhaps, but I've noticed the insular nature of British actors and actresses--quite a few of them seen on Game of Thrones can also be seen on Doctor Who reruns.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
randy

Post by randy »

Nope. Nor read the books.

I do get amusement from fans all up in arms about characters being killed off. I could have told them that was in the works since reading one of Martin's early stories in Analog in the 70's, which ends with the protagonist going to meet his antagonist on the dueling grounds knowing there was zero chance of survival. It's what he does.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".