Risen

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
MiddleAgedKen

Risen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Just saw it. Highly recommend it. Don't know what else to say about it yet.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
dfwmtx

Re: Risen

Post by dfwmtx »

Is it really good or are you just giving it high marks because Christianity is involved?
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
MiddleAgedKen

Re: Risen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

No, it's really good. It's the furthest thing from a "Kirk Cameron joint," if you take my meaning.

The filmmakers changed the order of certain events, but they tried -- and I think they succeeded -- in telling a good story and a faithful recounting. Wasn't perfect -- there was a key scene that I thought was a little underplayed, and while I enjoyed watching the portrayal of Bartholomew, sometimes it seemed like his script said Jesus Christ Superstar and everyone else was using a less in-your-face edit of The Passion of the Christ.

Not perfect, but really well done. I thought the dialogue choices were good, kept it very colloquial on the whole:

"That's a scar, I hope you know that!" (Simon Peter, to Clavius)

"Try the right side!" (Yeshua, to Simon Peter)

I literally had the theater to myself for the 8:40 show.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!