Who's looking forward to Suicide Squad?

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
JAG2955

Who's looking forward to Suicide Squad?

Post by JAG2955 »

I sure am!

Here's why:

I am absolutely terrified of the new Batman v Superman movie. DC has the habit of taking the largest, most epic, series-spanning story arcs and trying to squeeze them into a single 2.5 hr movie. So let's see, we're going to combine the formation of the Justice League, complete with multiple new characters, the introduction of Lex Luthor, the creation of Doomsday/Death of Superman, and the Dark Knight Returns. Got all that?

Additional evidence:

The Green Lantern Movie abortion: let's introduce a character, then have him fight what in the comics was the biggest, baddest enemy that the universe had ever faced, then wrap it up in a few short hours.

Dark Knight Rises: Let's combine Knightfall, where Batman is paralyzed, No Man's Land, where Gotham is destroyed by an earthquake, and introduce Catwoman, and maybe sumdood who may be either Robin, Nightwing, or Batman himself.

Then every Superman movie, just about ever. I did enjoy Man of Steel, however.

Suicide Squad is a lesser known team. I have no clue who the antagonist is, and I don't believe that Joker is the main one. We're going to piece a lot of much shorter story arcs and origin stories together, blow a lot of stuff up, punch a lot of people in the face, and have some jokes. Done. Great trailers.

Even DC's animated films have gotten worse in the recent years. I have high hopes for The Killing Joke, supposedly releasing later this year.
Langenator

Re: Who's looking forward to Suicide Squad?

Post by Langenator »

My wife wants to see it, because she likes Harley Quinn. She loved Deadpool, because, I'm not sure why. Probably potty humor and the fact that it doesn't take things too seriously. Other than that, she doesn't do superhero movies.

I generally don't do superhero movies, either, probably mostly because I never really did superhero comics. I saw the first two X-men, and Ironman I. (And I would totally go see The Tick if they made a movie.) I stopped X-men after the first two because I couldn't keep up with the characters they kept adding.

But I do agree with you on the tendency to try to cram way too much into 2+ hours. It detracts from enjoying the movie trying to keep track of everything, especially if you're not already familiar with the various back-stories.

Now, a Deadpool - Harley Quinn crossover? Anyone else down for that? (Yeah, I know, one's Marvel and the other's DC. I can dream, can't I?)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I'd watch a Deadpool-Harley Quinn crossover. My girlfriend liked Deadpool but I think it was because of the excessive amount of dude ass in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I guess you aren't referring to these guys.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Not really, here.

Honestly it looks aimed exclusively at 13-year-olds who think Hot Topic is great. The cringe-inducing marketing about how "Jared Leto IS the freaking Joker dudes" only reinforces this assumption. It's PG-13 for crying out loud.

To put it another way, when even Tumblr thinks your drama is forced, it's never a good sign.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

You've got to be kidding.

Hollywood doesn't do comic book movies; 9 times out of 10 they totally suck $#!^. (Actually, it's worse than that, but I'm rounding in their favor.)
Metric fucktons of craptastic Batman movies - really all of them until the Dark Knight trilogy, a couple of decent Superman movies back when Christopher Reeve could walk upright, one tolerable Spiderman, and two out of three decent MIB flicks, until Marvel finally cracked the code with the prequels that turned into and interwove the Avengers (and between Guardians of the Galaxy, and the upcoming Avengers sequel, I think they're about 1mm away from jumping the shark and nuking the fridge with that whole thing too).
On the other side, we have, in addition to the above-noted trainloads of horrible, such rotten tripe as Phantom, Daredevil,Green Lantern, Green Hornet, and on and on.

Pass.

Call me when they write an actual original story, or figure out how to do another dozen good Shakespeare movies out of the 25 that have never yet been filmed (Kenneth Branagh, call your office), write a decent Bond flick, or break Jar Jar Abrams' legs before he "re-boots" some other beloved cinematic series all over the floor, like a freshman frat pledge after his first beer bust.
Next, for the love of St. Charles Laughton and His Holiness Spencer Tracy, let's all pledge that the next director who re-envisions a cinematic classic like "Psycho" or "True Grit" and burps it out on the screen will be relentlessly hunted down, beheaded, and found in the morning with his head in his lap, and his severed genitals sticking out of his mouth, pour encourager les autres. And not just metaphorically.

And anyone that can't make a comic book movie at least as good as Iron Man or Avengers should be sentenced to banishment from films forever, relegated to working solely for the Disney Channel or Nickelodeon doing shows for 5-year-olds, until they either die of a heart attack or from drinking until they go blind and stroke out.

Just saying.
[/rant]
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Aesop wrote:You've got to be kidding.

Hollywood doesn't do comic book movies...........
You just wanna suck the joy out of everything.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Deadpool was enjoyable. A little thin on plot, but supposedly they were working on a very tight budget, and from that standpoint they pulled it off wonderfully. And, Inara shows lots of skin....ahem. I've never read any of the comics, so I don't have any basis to judge the character's accuracy.

Suicide squad looks fun, but with only a PG-13 rating, it makes me wonder. We'll see.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Steamforger wrote:
Aesop wrote:You've got to be kidding.

Hollywood doesn't do comic book movies...........
You just wanna suck the joy out of everything.
I don't have to; Hollywood does it for me.
Despite working in the biz for over two decades, I spend my own time and money to see movies. My expectation is that they won't squander either.
I know about the compromises necessary when you're shooting something with a 4/5/6-figure budget. BTDT, got the t-shirts. Literally.
There are, however, zero excuses on a movie where the budget was 7/8/9 figures. That would be virtually all of them in the last thirty years. A "Million-Dollar-Movie" was a blockbuster, growing up. Now it's a low-budget skank flick.

Given that, I go expecting, at minimum, a B-movie experience.
When I see mounds of unredeemed rose fertilizer, made on budgets that would fund banana republics for a year, and I don't even need to strain myself to identify them, they're doing it wrong.

The Full Monty was made for a total budget of <US$1M. Monty Python & The Quest For The Holy Grail was shot, essentially, on the credit cards of the stars, in the very low six-figures. The former grossed $258M; the latter made more just in the latest theatrical re-release than what it cost to make back in 1975.
Star Trek: Into Dorkness had a published budget of $190M (which means they spent approximately at least double that, once you add advertising/promotion costs. And the studio only gets back half of the gross, because of distribution deals. It means they never broke even, worldwide, and if they ever do, it'll only be after BD/DVD sales. But probably never, ever, ever.
Daredevil was equally as bad.
The Green Hornet? Atrocious. $120M out, doubled, means they spent $240 on making and promoting it. Probably a quarter BILLION.
Half the total gross is $113M. So they're out >$100M. Oh, and it sucked ass, just to keep things real.
I could make 10 decent movies for just what they pissed away on that POS, and any one of those ten could actually be great. Maybe more.

And somewhere around 40 million man hours were wasted by people watching the damned thing, which in perspective, is more than it took to get 12 guys walking on the surface of the moon, and back.

Having a studio is a responsibility in that respect, and if an NFL team sent the same quality of coaches and players onto the field week in and week out that Hollywood studios hire to produce, direct, and star in movies, the fans wouldn't be throwing rotten eggs and fruit at games, they'd be throwing Molotovs and pipe bombs. They probably should anyways.

I used to see 40-80 movies a year. Now I probably see <10. And even then, even those ten suck whale dicks more than 50% of the time.
I'm actually pleasantly surprised when they don't shoot the entire thing out their asses, and I can actually recommend that anyone else invest the time and $$ to go see one on the big screen. It's like finding a diamond in a hog wallow full of pig shit.
And unlike maybe 50% of America, this is my take, from someone who loves the medium (it's the quintessentially American art form), and likes the industry, on average.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

If all those movies suck that bad and lose money, how does Hollywood stay in business? Kickbacks from the liberals in government?

Anyways, Suicide Squad looks good to me. We're going to see a live-action adaptation of Harley Quinn, and the actress who is playing her looks like she did her crazy homework. Adding in Amanda Waller (the only fat person in the DC Animated Universe), and we can go all kinds of awesome from there. Project Cadmus, ties to Luthor, Project Batman Beyond, etc. Please, please, please, make a GOOD full-length feature film on Batman Beyond.

This is conjecture, but if you look at some of the possible evidence, this version of the Joker may be Jason Todd, which would tie it in awesomely well with the Batman v Superman movie (which I still think will suck big rocks off the ground).