TV shows getting overly formulamatic.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
dfwmtx

Re: TV shows getting overly formulamatic.

Post by dfwmtx »

Who do I have to beat upside the head with a 3' summer sausage to make channels such as History channel and Discovery channel return to showing actual informative documentaries? That's all I want to know.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

dfwmtx wrote:Who do I have to beat upside the head with a 3' summer sausage to make channels such as History channel and Discovery channel return to showing actual informative documentaries? That's all I want to know.
Shortly after I graduated with a history degree, I found that the idea of making informative documentaries is not profitable. "But history is booooooooring" the viewers say. The viewers want modern drama and bullshit, not attempts to explain ancient drama and bullshit in modern terms.

TV audiences watch "Ice Road Truckers" and "Deadliest Catch" because of the idea that something terrible will happen to these people while they work. That leads advertisers, who have money, to fund time to air such shows.

People aren't going to wake up one morning and want to watch a show about the cursus honorum no matter how scantily-clad the English-accented actresses are. Nor are they going to wake up one morning and watch an educational show called "Aw, Shit, I Forgot Math!" Does your show not have stupid jump cuts, flashbacks to five seconds ago, dramatic music and people throwing tantrums on the screen? That's the AK-47 of television entertainment, right there. Cheap, effective, and clogging the market.

So if you have to beat people, walk to your local Target, Wal-Mart or other major department store and whale away with that sausage.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

SoupOrMan wrote:Shortly after I graduated with a history degree, I found that the idea of making informative documentaries is not profitable. "But history is booooooooring" the viewers say. The viewers want modern drama and bullshit, not attempts to explain ancient drama and bullshit in modern terms.
I came to pretty much the same conclusion, except about various cable car and motorcycle shows, vs showing actually how to do stuff(I still think a show like this old house for cars and bikes would do decent, just nothing like the bullshit, and wouldn't get near the ratings, and would probably cost more). It's why I like Roadkill so much. They're nonassholes doing fun stuff, thats occasionally educational. :ugeek: :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

The way to make history naturally entertaining to watch is to put historians in a jar, and shake it.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Jericho941 wrote:The way to make history naturally entertaining to watch is to put historians in a jar, and shake it.
That's not as much fun as it sounds, actually.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

More fun or less fun than Beetleburg jars?
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Jered

Post by Jered »

dfwmtx wrote:Who do I have to beat upside the head with a 3' summer sausage to make channels such as History channel and Discovery channel return to showing actual informative documentaries? That's all I want to know.
When is the next episode of Nazi Mysteries of the Occult and the Search for the Lost Ark?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Jered wrote:
When is the next episode of Nazi Mysteries of the Occult and the Search for the Lost Ark?
Isn't there any more about the Nazi moonbase or the underwater Antarctic sub pens?
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Old Grafton wrote:
Jered wrote:
Isn't there any more about the Nazi moonbase or the underwater Antarctic sub pens?
I enjoyed the movie Bear Island when I was a youngster, but yes this does get ridiculous.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Those are on American Heroes Channel (formerly the Military Channel) now. Not Americans, not heroes.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia