For those who like dark but silly cartoons may I suggest...

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
evan price

For those who like dark but silly cartoons may I suggest...

Post by evan price »

Rick & Morty?
It's on Adult Swim sundays at 11:30 on cartoon network.
Premise is .. Um...
Think Back to the Future, where Doc Brown is a raging alcoholic sociopath intergalactic rogue inventor..kind of like Tony Stark crossed with Jack Sparrow and mixed with Danny Devito... and Marty McFly is a pre-teen adolescent totally naive and a bit simple. The rest of the family is neurotic and troubled just like real life.
Season Two just started a few weeks ago.
Start with season 1 episode 1, it starts a bit slow but it builds up to speed quickly.
M Knight Shaym Aliens is S1E4
Meeseeks and Destroy is S1E5
Rick Potion #9 is S1E6
Are my favorites. so far.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
JohnOC

Re: For those who like dark but silly cartoons may I suggest

Post by JohnOC »

This seems like its totally in my wheelhouse.. but I hate it.

I've seen two episodes, I got every joke, I laughed at maybe two of them.. and I could feel my brain dissolving into mush the whole time.

I'm not even sure if its the show, or television in general.. I often get that oozing-brains-from-ears feeling whenever I'm too near a television.

Bah, humbug.
The government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have. – Thomas Jefferson
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

JohnOC wrote:This seems like its totally in my wheelhouse.. but I hate it.

I've seen two episodes, I got every joke, I laughed at maybe two of them.. and I could feel my brain dissolving into mush the whole time.

I'm not even sure if its the show, or television in general.. I often get that oozing-brains-from-ears feeling whenever I'm too near a television.

Bah, humbug.
Watched the first episode, and the main problem I have is that the characters are so unlikeable. If that wasn't enough of a deal killer, it felt like it was trying to be a sci-fi themed Family Guy.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
evan price

Post by evan price »

I will agree season 1 episode 1 was a bit rocky, they toned Rick down and brought Morty up and focused on the snark more as the season progressed.

Kommander

Post by Kommander »

It starts off just OK and a bit intresting and by the end things are really fucked up. I think it's clear that the creators of the show did not want to go totally nuts in the first few episodes.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Kommander wrote:It starts off just OK and a bit intresting and by the end things are really fucked up. I think it's clear that the creators of the show did not want to go totally nuts in the first few episodes.
The pilot was OK, Lawnmower Dog was OK, Jurassic World was pretty good, they got the groove about Ep 4 imho.