Sad Puppies and Gamergate

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Vonz90

Sad Puppies and Gamergate

Post by Vonz90 »

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/41 ... them-david

I mostly stopped reading SF a while ago and was never into gaming, but interesting.
Kommander

Re: Sad Puppies and Gamergate

Post by Kommander »

I don't have time to do a full report but I will say this. The gamer gate thing was, up until a few days ago, unrelated. I really did not bother with gamer gate as I found it overly complicated to follow and there seemed to be plenty of asshats on both sides. Sad Puppies is much more straightforwards, with the involved parties actions and motivations much easier to understand. Long story short, this is what happens when you piss off Larry Correia.
Rod

Post by Rod »

It's easy, a bunch of SJWers, now called CHORFS ( Cliquish, Holier-than-thou, Obnoxious, Reactionary, Fanatic) by Brad Torgersen, have been rigging the Hugo awards for the last 10 to 15 years. Three years ago, after noticing a trend in the awards, Larry Corriea created the Sad Puppies, a list of people deserving of awards over people who write "message" SF instead of stories that sell and are interesting. This year, Larry bowed out and Brad took over. They listed a group of people they thought deserved a Hugo, including women, men, gays, question marks, and different races. You were free to nominate folks from the list or your own ideas for deserving writers. In the meantime, Vox Day, who's been vilified for years on his views on homsexuality and gay marriage, AND supposed misogyny, had his own grouping called Rabid Puppies, which pretty much mirrored the SP. With me so far?
Lo and behold, 3/4 of the people who made the final ballot were either SP or RP selections and the CHORFs when into a rage. How dare they!
So far the following has happened:

1. SP has been accused of fixing the ballots which is impossible to do unless you're on the selection committee.

2. People associated with the Hugos somehow knew who was on the list before last Saturday and began moaning then.

3. Larry, Brad, Vox, and many of the people on the final ballot have been receiving vitriol, death threats, and charges they're racist, homophobic, misogynistic, and mean to sad puppies. Larry is Portuguese, as is Sarah Hoyt, Brad is married to a Black woman, and one of the people adopted a Chinese child. One writer even complained that the Hugo list was nothing but white males, which was interesting because the picture of last year's Hugo winners, looks like an ad for Wonder Bread for men.

4. Arthur Chu got involved. He's the Jeopardy champ and is a flaming asshole.

5. Monday, Entertainment Weekly published an online article that was written by committee it seems, all CHORFs, and actually had libelous material in it. 3 hours later EW changed the headline to avoid a lawsuit but changed very little of the material. Never bothering to contact any Sad Puppy person.

6. Since the original EW story, 8 or 9 news sources or websites have printed the same story.

7. This either fixes a broken system or the Hugo Award becomes meaningless.

In the interest of fairness, I follow Larry, Brad, and Sarah on Facebook and have watched this develop from the beginning. For the first time, I've paid 40 bucks for a supporting membership to Sasquan in Washington State this year so I can vote for the Hugos. Not only do I get to stick it to whiny bitchboys and girls, I get all or part of every nominated piece, well worth 40 bucks of reading material.

Any questions?
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
randy

Post by randy »

One additional point, Larry recused himself from the Sad Puppies nomination list to keep the focus on the process.

He's also pointed out many times that part of the reason for SP 1 was to allow him to collect data to audit the process (he's an accountant by trade) and announced that he found no evidence of fraud in the actual balloting. The process of determining who went on the ballot is more the focus of SP 2 and 3.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rod

Post by Rod »

randy wrote:One additional point, Larry recused himself from the Sad Puppies nomination list to keep the focus on the process.

He's also pointed out many times that part of the reason for SP 1 was to allow him to collect data to audit the process (he's an accountant by trade) and announced that he found no evidence of fraud in the actual balloting. The process of determining who went on the ballot is more the focus of SP 2 and 3.
Thanks, I forgot he recused himself. Something else of interest is this piece by Brad that he posted backin February. Brad's post
Never get accountants or statistician involved, they always make you look like a moron.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

I read Vox Day, and post there sometimes too. It absolutely hilarious how he puppet masters the SJW's. Its been especially funny after he did a 23 and me and found out he was American Indian and thus a minority 8-)
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

It should be noted that Vox Day is a bit of an outlier position wise and really has nothing to do with sad puppies, having made his own slate as was mentioned. Having actually read some of his statements on various topics I find his some of his positions to be rather repulsive but that does not mean the man can't write.
JohnOC

Post by JohnOC »

Little issue on the timing, too.. This is the third year for Sad Puppies, but GamerGate didn't become a thing until 6 months ago.

But really, the bigger way you can tell GamerGate is not involved is that convention memberships needed to vote were only up by a factor of 4. If the SJW's think they have something to cry about now, they do NOT want 4chan to nitice the Hugos. Really Really NOT want.
The government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have. – Thomas Jefferson
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Vox Day continues to be an utter embarrassment, and it's a testament to the validity of the cause that it thrives in spite of him.

Gamergate was started back in September, and the SJWs are hoping to conflate it with Sad Puppies to bring both down. Won't work.