My current LP record collection

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Joe ex PNG

My current LP record collection

Post by Joe ex PNG »

As I mentioned in my intro post, I've become quite the fan of music played properly- on LP records. And, in the past few months since aquiring a turntable, have begun the fun hobby of prowling antique shops for 60's and 70's rock- which is ironically cheaper than downloading from I-tunes, or buying CD's. Not that I have the massive multi-hundred titles of someone collecting since '62, but I'm new at this (and poor).

A selection in no real order:
Yes- 'Close to the Edge' (a real find at $1)
Fleetwood Mac- 'Mystery to Me'
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer- 'The Best of...'
The Who- 'Live at Leeds' & 'Tommy'
Traffic- 'The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys'
Alan Parsons Project- 'I, Robot'
Jethro Tull- 'Thick as a Brick'
The Police- 'Synchronicity'
The Blues Brothers- 'Made in America'
Chicago- 'Greatest Hits'
The Beatles- 1967-1970 'Blue album'
CCR- 'Creedence Gold'
ZZ Top- 'The Best of'
Stevie Wonder- 'Original Musicquarium'

and a couple of jazz recordings...
The Quintet- Jazz at Massey Hall
The Oscar Peterson Trio- 'Affinity'

And some classical:
Phillippe Entremont doing Debussy's Clair de Lune
Herbert Von Karajan's Berlin Philharmonic performing the Adagio

And more to come in later weeks. Feel free to post about your collections.
Darrell

Re: My current LP record collection

Post by Darrell »

Lots of old Yes, lots of old Genesis (heck, back before they told Phil Collins to shut up and play the damn drums, some before he even belonged to the band), lots of old Emerson, Lake and Palmer, lots of old Neil Young... I have over 500 LPs, haven't played them in years. My old stereo blew up years ago, never replaced it. I still have my turntable, though.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Joe ex PNG

Post by Joe ex PNG »

I do so envy you.
DougWojtowicz

Post by DougWojtowicz »

I moved all mine down to the basement, but I've got some classic Bill Cosby albums - Himself, Those of You With And Without Children Will Understand, and 200 MPH and a couple of other comedy albums - Billy Crystal and Jackie Mason.

Musically, we're looking at a real mix -

Blue Oyster Cult, Billy Joel... just tons. I have to look.

I also have Buddy Guy at some Prison.
The Quiet Man

Post by The Quiet Man »

Somewhere close to 1000 vinyl LPs. Many of them I have duplicated in my CD collection, but many more are not available on CD. Lots of 60s and 70s rock and roll. I wouldn't even know where to begin as far as naming bands and albums of note. I started collecting them in about 1977 so there are quite a few that are fairly rare today.

On another note - a decent source of vinyl is thrift stores and used book stores. There was a time a few years ago that there were still used record shops in my area, but they too have gone the way of the dodo. Which is a real shame, I could spend hours digging through their stacks hunting for long lost nuggets.

By the way, what did you buy for a turntable? Just curious.
DougWojtowicz

Post by DougWojtowicz »

Some of us never even gave up our turntable stereos. :oops:
Evyl Robot

Post by Evyl Robot »

My record collection is all over the 20th Century. From wax and shelac to colored vinyl, I've got a little of everything. I would probably trade the 78's for a good gun if I got the right offer...

:twisted:

--Michael
Joe ex PNG

Post by Joe ex PNG »

The Quiet Man wrote:
On another note - a decent source of vinyl is thrift stores and used book stores. There was a time a few years ago that there were still used record shops in my area, but they too have gone the way of the dodo. Which is a real shame, I could spend hours digging through their stacks hunting for long lost nuggets.

By the way, what did you buy for a turntable? Just curious.
I should mention that my whole stereo system has cost less than $50. I'm using a Pioneer PL-S70 turntable with a Shur stylus ($45); a NAD amp ($2 at a thrift store- works perfectly); and a set of Sony speakers I got for free from a mission barrel. It's a cheap set I admit, but I'm not going for audiophile. Not until I get rich, at least.
The Quiet Man wrote:
Yes, indeed. During my last record shopping trip in downtown Sanford on the 4th of July I spent a few hours digging happily through dreck and finding a few gems. For $5 or less.
It's much cheaper to buy a classic LP than the CD after all.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Garage Sales are a great source. Generally you can start flipping through their collection and they will give you a below bargain basement for the whole thing. Sure I'll give you $5 for your 3 crates of records! There is sure to be something in there that would be worth that too me.

(Evyl Robot is my other half. We'd both be pretty excited about the right trade. We're talking about enough 78s to break shelves.)
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

I had a pretty good hifi setup, but it all went as we started pruning our belongings prior to this emigration fiasco.

Like you I'm a fan of vinyl Joe. My rock music is on CD and MP3, but I had a collection of some rare and excellent condition classical LP's - stuff like the George Solti Ring Cycle boxed set, Deutsche Grammophon pressings of Bach organ works, Maria Callas, a whole lot of opera in fact.

I did have a large collection of blues LP's but sold those about 10 years ago during a spell of hard times ( for $1200 :o had no idea they were worth that much )

My turntable was a Dunlop Systemdek from the 80's which I modified with a homemade carbon fibre armboard, Rega arm and Linn cartridge. Preamp was a Quad 44 of similar vintage feeding a couple of 15 watt valve monoblocs into Mission speakers. Sounded great and didn't cost too much. Not as good value as your NAD though, that's a real bargain.

All I have left now is a Marantz 63 special edition CD player which I modified with a low jitter clock circuit and some other bits and bobs. It sounds good, but I still prefer vinyl...
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song