Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
HTRN

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by HTRN »

HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote:I found it :ugeek:
I am pretty sure that was posted here a while back.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
toad

Post by toad »

HTRN wrote:I found it :ugeek:
Damn that is it but I would have sworn they landed in New York City? I wonder if Turtledove upgraded it?
toad

Post by toad »

https://pastebin.com/rT1Aq8pr

Found the sequel. Takes place long after the human empire collapses.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

So today I finished Zahn & Weber's latest prequel in the Honorverse, Call to Vengeance.

For some reason I thought that the Manticore Ascendant books were going to be a trilogy, but it's apparent now that that is not the case. I guess why make hamburgers when you can keep milking the cash cow?

BLUF: Good read, good addition to the storyline, does a good job of adding to the backstory of Manticore, the Royal Manticoran Navy, and the House of Winton, and a good job of further developing and pushing forward the main character of this story arc, Travis Long.

My main quibble come from disappointment of my utterly unfounded expectation that this was the final book of a trilogy, and that parts of the story line would come to conclusion. I'm working on separating that from how I feel about the books on it's merits.

The major complaint in the Amazon reviews seems to be that most of the story in this book is back-room and back-channel intrigue and politics, as well as espionage and other forms of skulduggery, and relatively little space battle action. I'm cool with that, and the story seemed to me to move forward at a good and readable pace.

[spoiler]SPOILER ALERT

The Manticorans do figure out who the invaders were, but they don't figure out who was behind them, or why. They still don't know that they're sitting on top of a figurative gold mine in the form of the Manticore Wormhole Junction. I guess that's to come in the future.[/spoiler]
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
randy

Post by randy »

The major complaint in the Amazon reviews seems to be that most of the story in this book is back-room and back-channel intrigue and politics, as well as espionage and other forms of skulduggery,
So apparently they've never read any of David Weber's other stuff?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

"The Jungleers: A History of The 41st Infantry Division" By William F. McCartney. 1948.

"From Poplar to Papua; Montana's 163rd Infantry Regiment in World War II" by Martin J. Kidston. 2004.

"With the 41st Division in the Southwest Pacific; A Foot Soldier's Story" by Francis B. Catanzaro. 2002.

My Dad joined the Montana National Guard before the war, then was activated, trained in Washington, Oregon, and California before being shipped off to Australia aboard the Queen Elizabeth. The 41st Infantry Division was the point of the spear up through the Pacific Islands, though they were not as well remembered as the Marines. Had the war not ended when it did, they were scheduled to be the lead into Japan.

My Dad was wounded in Zamboanga, on March 16, 1945 in the San Jose Sector. He was part of A Company, 1st Battalion, 163rd Infantry, 41st Division. He had enough points and with the battlefield injury, was rotated home. He was separated from the Army as a Tech Sergeant on 15 August 1945. Battles and Campaigns: New Guinea, Southern Philippines, Papuan. Decorations: Purple Heart (which is on display in a local museum in my hometown), Good Conduct Medal, Distinguished Unit Badge, Philippine Liberation Medal with one Bronze Service Star. Though not listed on this certificate, I have reason to believe he also held the Combat Infantry Badge.

My Dad passed away in 1974. He did not often say much about the war. However some of the stories he did tell, I read about again in From Poplar to Papua.

Unfortunately, many of his records were amongst those that burned in the late 60's. If I get a chance, I will visit the Eisenhower Presidential Library, which I understand has a lot of the original records.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Just started Stendhal, The Red and the Black.

So far the protagonist is not particularly sympathetic; I have a hard time with that.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Rumpshot wrote:"The Jungleers: A History of The 41st Infantry Division" By William F. McCartney. 1948.

"From Poplar to Papua; Montana's 163rd Infantry Regiment in World War II" by Martin J. Kidston. 2004.

"With the 41st Division in the Southwest Pacific; A Foot Soldier's Story" by Francis B. Catanzaro. 2002.

My Dad joined the Montana National Guard before the war, then was activated, trained in Washington, Oregon, and California before being shipped off to Australia aboard the Queen Elizabeth. The 41st Infantry Division was the point of the spear up through the Pacific Islands, though they were not as well remembered as the Marines. Had the war not ended when it did, they were scheduled to be the lead into Japan.

My Dad was wounded in Zamboanga, on March 16, 1945 in the San Jose Sector. He was part of A Company, 1st Battalion, 163rd Infantry, 41st Division. He had enough points and with the battlefield injury, was rotated home. He was separated from the Army as a Tech Sergeant on 15 August 1945. Battles and Campaigns: New Guinea, Southern Philippines, Papuan. Decorations: Purple Heart (which is on display in a local museum in my hometown), Good Conduct Medal, Distinguished Unit Badge, Philippine Liberation Medal with one Bronze Service Star. Though not listed on this certificate, I have reason to believe he also held the Combat Infantry Badge.

My Dad passed away in 1974. He did not often say much about the war. However some of the stories he did tell, I read about again in From Poplar to Papua.

Unfortunately, many of his records were amongst those that burned in the late 60's. If I get a chance, I will visit the Eisenhower Presidential Library, which I understand has a lot of the original records.
MacArthur (and his staff) made sure nobody in the Southwest Pacific but MacArthur got any publicity.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Supposedly there is a photo of MacArthur that was published in one of the magazines, that has my Dad in it.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona