Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Jered

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Jered »

Rereading the Prince Roger series.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Finishing the Grant biography by Korda. Rather small book, but interesting, sort of a pocket bio. The author mentioned that Grant's memoirs, finished shortly before his death, were the second most popular book in the late 1800s, after only the Bible. I should look that up some time.

Next up: Homer's Iliad. I've read the Odyssey, but never the Iliad. Wasn't sure which translation to get... I've heard that to really get the flavor of it, it should be read in the original Greek. That's a bit over my head.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Rod

Post by Rod »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: On the topic of W.E.B. Griffin, I've got a copy of Dreamland (picked up dead cheap at the local Salvation Army store) lying around somewhere. Megafortresses and drones...so far it don't grab me.
Actually, Dreamland is part of a series of books by Dale Brown. It started with Flight of the Old Dog and carries the "USAF is brilliant in what it makes" to the extremes. And anyone who disobeys orders as much as the main character (McClannahan?) would have been court martialed and buried UNDER Leavenworth.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Just got Ellis's American Sphinx for Christmas. 8-)
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
oilcrash

Post by oilcrash »

Been slow going working my way through VDH's Carnage and Culture in the midst of rereading most the updated Army Reconnaissance FM's.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom. Actually for the third or fourth time. My goal is to finish by the end of the year. 450 pages down, 400 to go.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
evan price

Post by evan price »

Starting the dresden files .
Much hope it's good based on recommendations.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Just bought "On Good Cooking" by Mcgee. Gotta read that and his other book one of these days
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Got a copy of Without Remorse for Christmas and read it in a marathon session (for me). My eyes hurt.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I've been reading "The Best Men are Cooks" by Frank Shay, 1941. Good recipes if a bit bland for today.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy