Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Langenator

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Langenator »

TheArmsman wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:52 am
Langenator wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:09 pm On the fiction side, I'm re-reading Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command). Reminding myself, once again, how badly the House of Mouse missed the boat because they were too busy screwing the pooch on Eps VII-IX.

Was so hoping these would have been made into a movie. Was also looking forward to A Splinter in The Minds Eye being a movie, also.
I think the biggest obstacle to making them into a movie is that they're set only 5 years after Return of the Jedi. Meanwhile, the actors who played the main characters have aged 30 years. Luke and Leia should have been what, in their mid to late 20s in those books? Meanwhile, Hamill and Fisher were in their 60s. That's asking a bit much, even for the best make up artists. Plus, they'd have to pay Zahn some pretty hefty royalties, I'm sure.

I am waiting for the library to open back up so I can get my hands on Zahn's Thrawn prequel books. Along with the next Harry Bosch novel on my list.

Meanwhile, I'm reading John Keegan's Second World War (again) on the non-fiction side, and Ballistic by Marko Kloos on the fiction side.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Wanted to post this Kindle sale ($2.99 down from $18) for a book on "special operations" during the American Revolution.

Finished the Pangea series by John C Wright, which was just an adventure romp with serious undertone.

Picked up the Junkyard Pirate series about old junkman meeting nano-size aliens and saving the world from resource stealing pirates. Well written but kind of a lightweight series.

Haven't started yet "The Book of Joe: About a dog and his man" which is a Vincent Price book about his dog; I may also pick up a Vincent Price cookbook; turns out he was a well respected gourmand. Who knew?

Kindle version of Hatcher's Notebook and his Book of the Garand so I can review and refer without digging out my hardcopies.

Professor Jordan Peterson's "Twelve Rules for Life: An Antidote for Chaos". Only read chapter 1 (the one with the lobsters) after watching a number of video interviews where the (usually leftist and or feminist) interviewer spends too much time about "why are women chaos!" and what do lobsters have to do with anything? The answers were extremely clear after reading so I assume they didn't, or like many doctrinaire people, they didn't like what they read. So far recommended.
randy

Post by randy »

Vincent Price was also very involved in the art collectors world.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Just finished ch 65 of The Deathworlders.

The big enemy performed their sneak attack on the arrays, killing thousands, including the CO of the HEAT team.

They made WARHORSE angry. This is what we call mistake #1.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

randy wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:07 pm Vincent Price was also very involved in the art collectors world.
He was from a well to do old money St. Louis family.
Last edited by Vonz90 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I'm reading Winston Churchill's account of the second world war. Finished The Gathering Storm and Their Finest Hour. Now in The Grand Alliance. Very interesting and instructive, but man that guy could put a lot of words on paper!

At the same time, reading Nock's The Disadvantages of Being Educated.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Weetabix wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:58 pm I'm reading Winston Churchill's account of the second world war. Finished The Gathering Storm and Their Finest Hour. Now in The Grand Alliance. Very interesting and instructive, but man that guy could put a lot of words on paper!

I am working through Churchill's World War II series as well. I am on the last book of the series, Triumph and Tragedy. It is amazing to me all the big and small things he kept track of at once.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

John_in_Longview wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:21 pm
Weetabix wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:58 pm I'm reading Winston Churchill's account of the second world war. Finished The Gathering Storm and Their Finest Hour. Now in The Grand Alliance. Very interesting and instructive, but man that guy could put a lot of words on paper!

I am working through Churchill's World War II series as well. I am on the last book of the series, Triumph and Tragedy. It is amazing to me all the big and small things he kept track of at once.
That actually occurred to me the other night as well. With no electronics! He must have had some serious notebooks.

He'd write something like, "I write to inquire about the estimates I asked for in my Minute of 9 days ago."
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
toad

Post by toad »

Vigilantes: While revenge is old trope and found in about all the genre's , I'm seeing more and more books with hate directed at the SJW's and what is called the Deep State. If politics flows down stream from culture there are a bunch of people who better leave the US while the leaving is good.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Fiction: The Lion and the Unicorn by Christopher Nutall. Book 15 of the Ark Royal series. Waiting on Larry Correia's Destroyer of Worlds, arriving Tuesday.

Non-fiction: War and the World: Military Power and the Fate of Continents by Jeremy Black.

The above mention of Junkyward Pirates made me wish, not for the first time, that the original Junkyard Wars series was available streaming somewhere.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus