Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Netpackrat

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Netpackrat »

Jered wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:Currently reading the latest Honorverse story collection. Honestly, these days they seem to be better than the main line novels.
I think there's a couple of reasons for that.

Honor was supposed to die in At All Costs, IIRC.

She didn't, so he's compressed decades of story into a couple of books. I believe he also writes with voice activated software, and doesn't type his books any more, so that makes them doorstoppers. He's also been way too influenced by Eric Flint.
Yeah, we've been over that before. I wasn't aware he was using dictation software, though.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande

I started reading it because I need to devise some checklists, but it's actually a fascinating read in and of itself. He's a surgeon who is trying to adapt to the fact that surgery has become so complex that no one person can know and remember every important item in every situation. He's visiting the building trades and the aviation industry in his quest to develop practical checklists that can reduce the complications that arise during and after surgery and to avoid the problems that surgery can introduce on its own.

He writes with a readable and captivating style. I expected it to be dry, but I'd read it even if I weren't trying to develop my own checklists.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Damn. Missed the UPS guy. Guess this will have to wait.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Still trying to finish "The Game" as well as Stephen Ambrose's "Undaunted Courage." I should have devoured these books a while back.

Until I finish them I can't start my next book, which is the first Monster Hunters book.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I really enjoyed Undaunted Courage.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I should be enjoying it as well. I'm a historian by training, for goodness' sake.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Goods2010

Post by Goods2010 »

Harry Turtledove's Atlantis series...
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I finally read Michael Korda's biography of Robert E. Lee, Clouds of Glory. Great read. Fierce Patriot, a biography of William Tecumseh Sherman, was okay, but slim by comparison. I'm now reading Korda's bio of Ulysses S. Grant.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
evan price

Post by evan price »

Wending my way through a stack of Charles Stross books. The Laundry books are not bad, but a bit tedious with all the CLEVER CODENAMES to describe things.
Sorry, I need to go get briefed in on MERKIN ALPHA and drop off the dossier on CHEEKY BANDICOOT.

Just recently finished off the available books in the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey. Pretty good, and I get a Firefly vibe off of it- which is not a bad thing.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Rich

Post by Rich »

MiGs over Nevada by Thornton D. Barnes. Author also has a couple of other books about his time spent working in Area 51 while working for CIA contractor EG&G.

I'm of the opinion that this book is really from the CIA, and he is the chosen conduit or mouthpiece. And perhaps the other books are as well. But that is merely my opinion.

The book has some good info and pictures of the MiG-21, MiG-17, and a little bit about the MiG-23. It is not about the Red Eagles that flew out of Tonopah and contributed much to Red Flag. The Red Eagles book and Barnes books are all available at Amazon and are must reads if you're into Soviet/Russian fighters, although the ones discussed are now dated.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964