Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Langenator

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Langenator »

Fiction: The Swarm (The Second Formic War, Book 1) by Orson Scott Card

Non-Fiction: The Soul of Battle by Victor Davis Hanson

One thing I haven't quite figured out with Card's Ender-verse: in the original Ender's Game book, the aliens are called Buggers by the humans, because they evolved from ant-like insectoids. Somewhere along the line, Card stopped using that nickname, and started calling them Formics. The first book I noticed it in was in Ender in Exile, which takes place in between chapters of Ender's Game in the story time line.

Now in the First and Second Formic War series, they're still (already?) being called Formics instead of Buggers. I need to do some searching and see if there's an interview or something where Card answers that question.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Listening to Hard Magic by Larry Correia. Read years ago.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
randy

Post by randy »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:08 pm Fehrenbach is a lot more sympathetic to ... Woodrow ****ing Wilson than I am).
Not a very high hurdle to clear in my case.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

randy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:34 pm
MiddleAgedKen wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:08 pm Fehrenbach is a lot more sympathetic to ... Woodrow ****ing Wilson than I am).
Not a very high hurdle to clear in my case.
Yeah, same here. Fehrenbach is an actual Wilson admirer, though -- a UN/LoN true believer...or maybe, given the evidence of the book, more a believer in Realpolitik. Not particularly surprising considering it was published in '63.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

SoupOrMan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:50 am Euler's Elements of Algebra.

I loved math as a kid but stunk at both it and time management to study. My teachers wouldn't explain a lot of these concepts to non-AP students. I wish I'd looked for this in middle school.

Now I'm a little better at time management, I might be able to enjoy the pursuit of more math subjects.
I love math, too. Look on ABEbooks.com for older textbooks - say 60's and before. Better instruction with fewer cartoons.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:48 am No. Was I supposed to? I didn't find much guidance on what order one should read any of them in.
Most of the known space stuff is either self contained, or part of miniseries. The Ring world books are probably the biggest series in the setting. Like others have said the prequel series is pretty dull, and I suspect it was a cash grab by Niven. The first Ring world book is pretty good, the second is decent, and it goes downhill from there.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

Recently read 'Valley of Shadows' by Mike Massa, set in Ringo's zombieverse. I enjoyed it a great deal. Looking forward to reading more of his stuff.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Apparently the next book in that story arc, River of Night, was released 11 days ago and I somehow missed it.

Dammit, Ringo! I'm still catching up with Orson Scott Card!
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Kipling's Puck of Pook's Hill. Most enjoyable.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Norman Friedman's Fighting the Great War at Sea.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!