Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Weetabix

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Weetabix »

Finished The Mote In God's Eye, and now on to The Gripping Hand.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

On the fiction side, I'm re-reading Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command). Reminding myself, once again, how badly the House of Mouse missed the boat because they were too busy screwing the pooch on Eps VII-IX.

Non-fiction, while I'm waiting for the campus library to open again, I'm about to start The Auschwitz Volunteer, the story of a Polish resistance member who voluntarily went into the death camp to find out what was happening there, and then escaped. Forget brass ones so big they clank when he walked - this guy could probably roll around on his like a circus performer.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Okay, I just finished Weber's The Honor of the Queen, and...I have questions.

Not wanting to spoil it for anyone, I ask those present and interested: Does Honor Hornblower...er, Harrington...have career plot armor, or am I guilty of playing the "knew or should have known" card too harshly? :P
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:36 am Okay, I just finished Weber's The Honor of the Queen, and...I have questions.

Not wanting to spoil it for anyone, I ask those present and interested: Does Honor Hornblower...er, Harrington...have career plot armor, or am I guilty of playing the "knew or should have known" card too harshly? :P
Well, her best friend and academy roomate is the Queen's cousin, so.....
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:36 am Okay, I just finished Weber's The Honor of the Queen, and...I have questions.

Yes. At one famous point, the only thing keeping HH alive was the authors wife.

As in, Weber was keeping her alive because he had a big plan as to exactly when to kill her off for maximum effect. And when the time came had to suddenly devise Plan B as his wife vetoed any killing of, you know.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

My thought was: "What do you have to do to get beached and sent to Saganami to teach tactics and martial arts until you resign or retire, if not that?"
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Langenator wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:09 pm On the fiction side, I'm re-reading Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command). Reminding myself, once again, how badly the House of Mouse missed the boat because they were too busy screwing the pooch on Eps VII-IX.

Was so hoping these would have been made into a movie. Was also looking forward to A Splinter in The Minds Eye being a movie, also.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

I'm currently reading the latest volume of David Weber's "Safehold" series; the Jihad is over, but Armageddon is looming. The title is, "Through Fiery Trials".
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

I'm currently reading the latest volume of David Weber's "Safehold" series; the Jihad is over, but Armageddon is looming. The title is, "Through Fiery Trials".
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Just read Nick Cole and Jason Anspach's Galaxy's Edge: Takeover (I highly recommend the Galaxy's Edge series as well as Cole's novels Ctrl-Alt-Revolt!, Soda Pop Soldier, and Pop Kult Warlord), still working on Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate, along with Ron Chernow's Grant (very well written).