Netflix streaming to TV?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
blackeagle603

Netflix streaming to TV?

Post by blackeagle603 »

Question of the day:

How to get streaming content (a la Netflix, Hulu) to my TV with minimal hardware add-on?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Re: Netflix streaming to TV?

Post by blackeagle603 »

Nope, none of that hardware currently in house. Son had a 360 but sold it last year when he started getting real serious about his homework.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
princewally

Post by princewally »

I run an svideo cable from the laptop to the video jack on the front of my vcr, with a converter plug. $10 for the cable, $5 for the converter. The quality isn't the same as the laptop, but I don't have an HD TV, anyway.
I support rehabilitation through reincarnation. -TechBrute

My Blog
Blog #2: LRN
MN carry permit training
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Now that you mention it the TV in our front room is HD and has a gazillion different type inputs that I haven't taken time to identify and understand. Any chance that can take a direct input of some sort from my PC/network? Seems like I recollect some digital connectors on it. It has a nice Onkyo surround system running with it.

That sound system was a gift from b-in-law after he stayed 6 wks with us waiting for an apt deal to get straightened out. He got it for us at the same time I bought the new TV. He did all the install and config so I never got into all the capability and config of that set.

blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Roku...
Hmm... Sehr interesant.

Thanks for that Chris. Adding that to my evening reading/research list.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I strongly suggest a HDPC if you're willing to spend the money - besides the whole DVR ability with freeware(think about that in combination with a homebrew server), Hulu, NetFlix, et all, not to mention games and just netbrowsing.. Honestly, with a good Blu-Ray read/write drive, it's the only thing you need to hookup to your receiver these days.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

key phrase "with minimal hardware add-on." :-)

Actually the TV in back of the house sits just a couple feet from a PC with a dual core processor. I s'pose I could add a tuner card to that and run line out to the TV...

blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

duh-ohh. :roll:

blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Oh boy, I think I started picking a scab.

Cox Cable has got to go away ($49/mo). Going to give ATT DSL a test run ($35/mo).

If that's reliable then Cox Digital phone is gone (~$30/mo w/ taxes and long distance) and Skype wireless will be the mainline in the house to a cell phone number.

If I can get Netflix streaming to my main TV then it will replace Blockbuster online basic ($8/mo killed tonight due to low usage lately) and the in store monthly package (~$25/mo).

The back room TV sits nexts to PC that the kids stream online video on so that's mute. 'Course I could jump video the 4' over to that tube too but it's a low priority. The kids are perfectly happy watching on the monitor as is.

I'm sick of TV's vast nothingness and full load of garbage on even basic cable ($13/mo) so I think that's prolly gone too before I'm done.

Of course this leads to a review of cell plans too. Last line of 5 on a Sprint PCS family plan contract is up the 29th of this month. If Skype reduces total cell minutes enough then I can do something there -- plus I really need unlimited text on my line.