Ham Stick Di-pole

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Rumpshot

Ham Stick Di-pole

Post by Rumpshot »

Randy or Chris, thoughts on the Ham Stick Di-pole.

I went to a hamfest over the weekend and picked up a pair of 40 mtr Ham Sticks and a dipole maker. Have not had an opportunity to try it out. Did assemble it and need a 1/2 - 3/4 inch pipe/pole/rod to mount it to.

I know that it is not ideal, but nothing is.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
randy

Re: Ham Stick Di-pole

Post by randy »

I have (had) 2. 80 Meter and 20 meter on my tower at about 40 feet. They are stacked vertically above my VHF/UHF beams on the rotor.

("had" as one of the elements of the 20 meter came off in a wind storm a couple of years ago. I just a couple of weeks ago picked up a replacement at Hamvention. Just need to get it mounted).

I don't do a lot of HF, but given the limitations, they work well. I have been happy on PSK on 20 meters, and limited voice activity on both bands. These are not DX/Contesting antennas, but fine for limited space/portable use. I know many people that use them for emergency HF antennas.

They do have a definite bias towards their long side, which is nice as it does give some directivity when rotating the antenna.

Both of mine are tuned to the middle of the General voice band, as that's where most emergency (ARES/RACES) activity takes place, which is my primary interest.

You will need a tuner (I have an MFJ Versatuner II manual tuner) as they are fairly narrow band. I borrowed a friends MFJ Antenna Analyzer to perform the physical tuning, much faster and easer, and less stress on the finals than doing the tuning with your transmitter.

Here's data from my tuning sheets for each:

80 Meter: <2:1 SWR on 3.750 MHz without a tuner. I've got tune points with less than 1:5 when using the tuner from 3.580 (PSK-31) to 3.875 MHz. I can also use it (with the tuner) on portions of 15,20,and 40 meters

20 Meter: 1:1 on 14.150Mhz with no tuner, and tune points up to 14.325 with the tuner. I had a nice QSO with a friend vacationing out in Nevada (operating mobile) on 14.240, so I'm happy with the antenna. I can also use it (with the tuner) on portions 10,15,40 and 80 meters.

Bottom line: Usable, but requires a little effort and learning your equipment (radio and tuner), and a LOT better than nothing. Combined with a 10-40 sloper (I was given), they meet my HF needs given my space limitations and limited operations.

Here's some links to additional information:
http://www.eham.net/articles/2621
http://www.k7su.com/hsdipole.html
http://www.kyham.net/downloads/library/ ... ampole.pdf

Hope this helps

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Pretty sure every single thing that was said here flew WAY over my head. I get that it's ham radio, but aside from that, nada.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
randy

Post by randy »

Kind of how I feel on some of the metallurgical and machine shop discussions around here. I understand the subject and the general gist of the conversation, but the details...

What I said is that these antennas are adequate for casual use, but not great for specialized use, but way better than nothing. And I gave him details of my personal experience

SWR is Standing Wave Ratio. 1:1 is good. 2:1 is doable but not great, over that is asking for problems and over 3:1 is usually fuggedaboutit. You can damage your transmitter as power "bounces" back from the antenna. Think squib load in pistol.

The meters referred to (20,40,80) are amateur radio operating groups of frequencies known as bands. Like caliber, different ones are used/optimal for certain types of activities at certain times of the day

Antennas are good for certain ranges of frequencies. Using a tuner can "fool" the antenna that it's "seeing" a better antenna than is really there, preventing it from being damaged.

The picture shows my tower. The antennas in question are the 2 black, horizontal ones at the top of the mast (80 meters on top, 20 meters below).
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

If you have the room try a sky loop. I have been more than impressed with mine for 40 and 20m. They are cheap too if you already have a decent tuner.
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Aegis wrote:Pretty sure every single thing that was said here flew WAY over my head. I get that it's ham radio, but aside from that, nada.
Aegis, what Randy said pretty much sums it up. The antenna question was a solution that really does not have a problem. But it is it's own problem as well.

This antenna combination has an advantage in that it is relatively compact and easy to assemble, disassemble, store, and transport. The disadvantage is it really does not work as well as many/most antennas. There is nothing wrong with the individual parts, just the combination is not as efficient as the theory would lead you to believe.

I am and have been a Ham Radio Operator since about 1981 and very much about the hobby is further over my head than the question I posed above is over your head.

This site is great. There are geeks of all flavors. The best part there are most flavors represented here.

Thanks Randy for the thoughts and explanations.

Chrisb, I will look into the sky loop. I have enought real estate to do just about anything. I just don't have the disposable cash to allot to Ham Radio. Cheap is my friend.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Rumpshot wrote:
Thanks Randy for the thoughts and explanations.
Thanks indeed to Randy. You too, for the honestly rather fascinating introduction.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

HF without a drogue on a trailing wire? What's the fun in that?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

blackeagle603 wrote:HF without a drogue on a trailing wire? What's the fun in that?
Slight problem there boss. Needs one of them thar flyin machines. Need the paperwork to operate said flyin machin. Need to be current with the paperwork to operate said flyin machine.

I got the paperwork to operate said flyin machine. The rest is either not available or out of date cuz it is more spendy than I can deal with.

I figure if the rest were taken care of, I could use a gunny sack as a drogue and some fone wire for trailing. Or would that be trolling???
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Like I said, "Where's the fun in that?" :lol:
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story