Black Roof/White Roof

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Darrell

Black Roof/White Roof

Post by Darrell »

I considered posting this in politics or current events, considering where it comes from, but I figured tech might be applicable...

You might have heard on the news that Obamaramadingdong now wants to paint roofs white, to help keep houses cool; no doubt part of the environazis' gobull warmening efforts. Along that line, California has been talking about banning black paint jobs on automobiles and such. So, what's your take on it? I could certainly see a black roof being a benefit in winter, maybe a white roof in summer. In fact, I'd kicked around ideas for roof shingles that have parellel series of horizontal black and white stripes, with each color tilted to maximize exposure to sun in winter or summer, accordingly. Just a thought... Anyway, though black absorbs light and heat better than white, it also radiates it better than white. What's the net effect, if any? Astronomical observatories are generally painted white, for instance, to minimize absorption of heat from the sun during daytime. I would think the white would actually make it harder to radiate heat after dark, though. I'd think the net effect would be zero in the bigger scheme of things.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Rich

Re: Black Roof/White Roof

Post by Rich »

Basically dark absorbs and retains heat, while white reflects a higher percentage back out to the atmosphere. However, for the numbers we would need, we would probably get a greater effect putting a propeller on a hamster wheel, and sitting back to enjoy the breeze. :roll:
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

So if you want a dark/black roof, just paint it to look like solar panels or collectors. Maybe get a tax break too. I can see a booming business in shingles textured to look like solar cells...
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Rich Jordan wrote:So if you want a dark/black roof, just paint it to look like solar panels or collectors. Maybe get a tax break too. I can see a booming business in shingles textured to look like solar cells...
No need for fakes... they make shingles that ARE solar panels.

Google search for 'solar shingles'
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

You could cut emissions by 100% in the US if every state just reduced them by 2%.

Think of it!

New math.. CHANGE!!

DD
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Where I know that Obama's administration are idiots, this idea has some merit, if you reflect the heat away from the house you lower the cooling cost in the home, lowering your energy cost.

And in the 80's I worked for a lawn sprinkler company that would install systems on commercial office buildings to cool them down in the summer.
"All somebody has to do to get along peacefully with me is leave me and mine alone. They open the door to violence, they've got no right to complain if more than they bargained for walks through."
Precision

Post by Precision »

Plant shade trees that canopy over the house.

Problem solved and we'll have something gobbling up those pesky CO2 emmissions from my big diesel truck. :lol:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Rich

Post by Rich »

Points to ponder.

Will it become a crime to leave footprints on a white roof?

And, will all roofers be forced to wear booties to avoid leaving footprints?

This could be the death knell of the housing industry. :roll:
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

They probably start requiring you to make sure leaves/seeds from trees don't cover the roof and affect the reflection value. Then they'll mandate you have it cleaned/repainted every year. Then they'll mandate it's too dangerous to do it yourself, so you must hire an accredited roof cleaner, who is mandated to only use "green" clearners/paints, and then.....

Someone please wake me up :shock:
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
clyde621

Post by clyde621 »

and said cleaner is a member of an accepted UNION :lol:
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.
Theodore Roosevelt