rabbit ears

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Les Nessman

rabbit ears

Post by Les Nessman »

Getting a new tv. Don't have cable or dish. Don't want either.

Anyone have opinions/experience with rabbit ear antennae for tv? Make, model, price, etc...
sam

Re: rabbit ears

Post by sam »

It depends on signal strength, terrain, and distance, among other factors, to the broadcast antennae.

If you already have a digital/HDTV tuner, here's one place to start.
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

I guess since we are in the digital tv age now it is either get a signal or not, no more snowy reception. It will likely depend on whether you are receiving UHF or VHF signals and your distance from transmitter.
sam

Post by sam »

Actually, not quite. I get artifaction and/or pixelazation if the weather is bad, especially if the antenna is distant, prolly because I only use OTA for HD broadcast, and especially because it only seems to effect NBC and PBS. Not a big loss.
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

It has been 15 years since I used an antenna, so I really have no personal experience with digital ota, I was just told that it was pretty much there or not.
Ben Rumson

Post by Ben Rumson »

Friend of mine canceled his cable and went with a converter box and antenna. The antenna is actually a rectangular plastic box that he mounted on his chimney.. The picture will pixelate and or pause when reception is bad. It's a great picture when reception allows it.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Fivetoes wrote:I guess since we are in the digital tv age now it is either get a signal or not, no more snowy reception. It will likely depend on whether you are receiving UHF or VHF signals and your distance from transmitter.
At my parent's weekend place in rural southwest Mississippi, the digital signal is useless. Been thinking of looking up the frequencies and making an antenna for them. I suspect they'd prefer a store-bought version over a Yagi made from pvc pipe, hose clamps, duct tape, and a cannibalized tape measure. :ugeek:
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.