Preparing to go fix a space telecsope.

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
DougWojtowicz

Re: Preparing to go fix a space telecsope.

Post by DougWojtowicz »

One of the guys I'm subscribed to on YouTube, themightythor1212, is the seventh guy in line to pushing the button to launch the shuttle.

He made a series of videos giving his subscribers a nice close view of a launch in 2006.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

I've never seen a Shuttle launch, but I did get to witness an Atlas launch while I was at Vandenberg AFB back in 03-04 for techschool. that was definitely impressive.
Luke 22:36
" ....But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
-Jesus Christ,
ButchS1066

Post by ButchS1066 »

mekender wrote:
308Mike wrote:I've heard it's one of the thing you should do before you die. I'd LOVE to watch one from as close as they'd let me.
Generally speaking, the public can get up to about 4 miles away, there is an exclusion zone on both land and water, but if you know how, you can get closer... You risk jail time by doing it, so I wont go into details.

The other place you can get is the media area. This is a section for cameras and reporters and is about 2 to 3 miles from the launch pad. It is close enough that the noise is deafening. I have been able to hear launches from as far as 50 miles away.
I've never seen a live shuttle launch, but I did get to see six Apollo launches from the fence so it balances out. ;)

Since they've gone to solid boosters, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the launch site on the odd chance they experience another launch anomaly.
Life is short, ammo is expendable. Empty the mag.