Lost all my email and bookmarks

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Weetabix

Lost all my email and bookmarks

Post by Weetabix »

I had a corrupt registry, and lost everything. Computer dudes reinstalled the basics. I have backups from several weeks ago.

Does anyone know what files I should look for on the backups to get Outlook emails and Firefox bookmarks?

Thanks.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
FelixEstrella

Re: Lost all my email and bookmarks

Post by FelixEstrella »

For firefox bookmarks, look in

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<blahblah>\bookmarks.htm
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Drone 7 of lots more

Post by Drone 7 of lots more »

Not likely to be very helpful, but if you can't remember the site well enough to search for it, it doesn't matter. Think of it as an enforced bookmark cleaning. I think I ever go back to less than 5% of the stuff I bookmark...
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Drone 7 of lots more wrote:Not likely to be very helpful, but if you can't remember the site well enough to search for it, it doesn't matter. Think of it as an enforced bookmark cleaning. I think I ever go back to less than 5% of the stuff I bookmark...
That thought had actually occurred to me. I've re-bookmarked the important ones. The only ones I'll miss much are the bookmarks to reference site I only use occasionally at work and some of the once-a-month bill paying sites.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Chris & Felix-

I looked for bookmarks there in the backups. I found a file and put it in the same location on my freshened ( :cry: ) hard drive. It didn't seem to have anything.

As to the .pst files - I found several. The latest email seems to be 1/18/08. I've not dug for .ost files. I'll try that.

I also have another backup drive that I alternate with the one at the office so I'll have offsite backups. I'll check that one today.
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Weetabix wrote:Chris & Felix-

I looked for bookmarks there in the backups. I found a file and put it in the same location on my freshened ( :cry: ) hard drive. It didn't seem to have anything.
Instead of just dropping the file into the new drive, try importing bookmarks.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

FelixEstrella wrote:

It gives me an import wizard that only allows me to select to import bookmarks from Internet Explorer. Perhaps this new version doesn't allow as much freedom as previous versions (kinda like gummint...)
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Weetabix wrote:
FelixEstrella wrote:

It gives me an import wizard that only allows me to select to import bookmarks from Internet Explorer. Perhaps this new version doesn't allow as much freedom as previous versions (kinda like gummint...)
Bookmarks->Organize Bookmarks->File->Import->From File.
Blogspot
picsig
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Time to admit defeat. I found bookmarks.html in C\Program Files\Mozilla\profiles\etc. But my backups don't seem to have gotten application data out of documents and settings.

When I check my backup settings, they appear to be able to see those directories.

Ah, well. It hasn't killed me, but somehow I don't feel stronger...
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

FelixEstrella wrote:Bookmarks->Organize Bookmarks->File->Import->From File.
Oh, yeah - that was exactly the right place. I'd never seen that before. I just didn't have the right file to import. C'est la vie.