flat head engines

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
toad

flat head engines

Post by toad »

I was looking at some WW II stuff and I came across a Russian Blog with translations . In it he was praising the Jeep and the Studebaker trucks . He stated the village idiot could keep a jeep running. It seems the Studebaker three and two axle trucks with their 5 speed transmissions would go anywhere and the maintenance was fairly simple. One thing they liked about the Studebaker trucks was they had an " under valve " engine as opposed to the GMC "over valve" engine. In other words the Studebaker had a flat head engine. I remember that you could pull off the head with the engine still in the vehicle pull the valves insert new valves and lap then in. You could vary compression with a shim . He claimed it was easier to keep the Studebaker running with the crappy fuels they had. He showed a video of one running on wood gas.
I'm wondering the with improved fuels would a flat head be viable again?
MiddleAgedKen

Re: flat head engines

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I think the answer to your question depends on the purpose to which one wants to put it and the circumstances in which one intends to use it. For running just this side of forever in a maintenance-challenged environment where absolute performance is a secondary consideration: sure, why not? As an analogy, the old low-revving cast-iron marine diesels (Sabb, Lister, et al) are still completely viable in the right application.

For the quarter mile where the usual thing is to make a few dozen passes ( f/x: SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAAAAAAAY!!!!) and then rebuild in a machine shop (f/x: balanced! blueprinted! shot-peened! glass-beaded! magnafluxed! We need a bigger checkbook!), possibly not so much.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Uh you do know that the all small engines are basically flatheads, right?

And theres at least two different aftermarket block manufacturers- Donovan makes aluminum Ford 4 cylinder blocks, and theres a manufacturer of cast iron v8 fords.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I have long thought the flatheads were low-revving high torque, but it wouldn't be the first time I was completely misinformed.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Changing ("Shimming") head gaskets to change (lower) compression ratio and the reverse(milling or "shaving") made me think of my father's generation doing just that on various machines. A farm tractor had a shimmed head so it could run on "drip gas" collected from a gas well on the farm and an uncle had a hopped-up '50-something Mercury with shaved heads. I was the little kid who got to sit in the background and just listen, at least until the second or 3rd beers came out, and I got sent in to go to bed LOL
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Windy Wilson wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:07 am I have long thought the flatheads were low-revving high torque, but it wouldn't be the first time I was completely misinformed.
That has nothing to do with the valve arrangement, and everything to do with bore/stroke ratio.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Thanks, HTRN.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Flatheads tend to have a lower inherent rev limit so bore/stroke would tend to be design optimized toward developing torque at low end.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story