Zinc ?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
toad

Zinc ?

Post by toad »

I purchased a metal re-enforced polymer 80% lower. (they are now out of stock on them, people are preparing for the nut jobs I guess) Now it turns out the re-enforcing metal is zinc. They write that they are using that to keep the weight down. My problem is when I think of zinc, :?: I think of "pot metal" very brittle. Are there some alloys of zinc that aren't brittle ? I'm wondering if the carbon fibers in the polymer are actually re-enforcing the Zinc and the zinc is just providing a bearing surface ?
Also I have ordered a small drill press and drill vise from Harbor Freight. 5 speed by belt changing. "Be gentle with me toad and use your vacuum cleaner to suck my grits." Does anybody know how the quality control at old Harbor Freight is doing these days ? About a 100 bucks after tax and shipping.
It looks like I'm going to be doing another month of rice, beans, and extra beano again.
HTRN

Re: Zinc ?

Post by HTRN »

toad wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:56 amDoes anybody know how the quality control at old Harbor Freight is doing these days?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

You seriously don't want to know what a good drill press costs, Trust me.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
toad

Post by toad »

Waaaaaaa, Waaaaaa, HTRN is picking on me again. I found a nasty little hobby R8 spindle milling machine for a thousand bucks , but by the time I got all the accessories and tooling I'd need a building to go with it, and it is already past my birthday and I can't see HTRN getting me that for Christmas.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

You said drill press, now you're talking about milling machines, which is it?

Did you do a check for spindle runout and bearing noise? This is especially common on cheap import machines. Both are expensive and a pain in the ass to fix.

Did you check craigslist for a used Walker Turner on Craigslist? They tend to be cheap, and last damn near forever. You probably would have spent a bit more money(probably $250ish), but youd get far more than what you actually bought.

But what do i know, i just apparently mock people that dont spend 2 grand on a 20" Clausing. :roll:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
toad

Post by toad »

I depend on the bus, taxi, and Fedex to get me stuff. Mostly from Amazon . I don't have a car or truck. I may be able to get financing on a 2020 Honda Super Cub. I'd have to check if it is low enough to the ground for me to balance though.
What I wish for and what I can afford are two different things. If I win the lottery or you let me put up a cot in your shop and borrow your tools ……….
You supposedly can depend on hand drills alone with the receiver slash jig, it just the possibility that some time in the future I can get a forged or billet 80% lower it is easier with a drill press. The guys who do a lot of 80% lowers for resale usually invest in a milling machine. Check out all the YouTube videos on the subject.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

HTRN
Ok, so w/out entirely hijacking the thread, would be interested to hear what constitutes "a good drill press" in your thinking.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Used cheap - walker turners, older craftsman, etc. The walker turners are ubiquitous, like 1j bridgeports. Ive never been in a shop that didnt have at least one some where. Be careful though, as many are simply been beaten to death from living a hlaf century or more in an industrial setting.

New "cheap" import, Jet. Keep in mind, a Jet 15" benchtop is something like 750 new. A 20 in floor model starts at 1200 and goes up from there, very, very quickly.

Midpriced used powermatic, Delta Rockwell, powermatic, etc. Can often be had in the sub $1k range. I personally have a 20" Rockwell variable, but i have to replace the handle arms(cheap and easy), and figure out the runout issue(not sure if its the spindle, or the morse taper chuck)

Money is no object territory, for variables, Clausings. Ive yet to see a non abused one go for under 2 grand, and they're worth every penny. For lower rpm gear drive, Arboga. Very good drills and very expensive. Wilton eventually bought them out,and now sell them under their own name. Similar price to clausing used, if not higher.New, they start at $5200 and go up from there. Have a Wilton Arboga at work, like it alot except for that //*×@ keyless chuck.

This should give you some idea

Something i do not like, that is common on mall cheap drill presses - integral chucks. I vastly prefer having a morae taper spindle, as its much more flexible.

TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

toad

Post by toad »

I can't recall who or where but there used to be a company here in the Dallas / Ft.Worth area that specialized in rebuilding machinery especially Bridgeport Milling machines. You could get them with power drives and digital read outs. I remember a guy who did a deal with the power company to set up his garage for 240 and he ran a Bridgeport and I think a Monarch lathe. He was trying to find a tool and cutter grinder. In those days your milling tools were a bit on the expensive side.