Zinc ?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
HTRN

Re: Zinc ?

Post by HTRN »

A lot of socalled rebuilds are nothing of the sort theyre a quick spray job, for which you will pay five times what is actually worth.

Most machinery rebuilders wont touch bridgeports or small lathes - the labor costs are so high its probably cheaper to buy a new machine. They tend to specialize in larger or specialty machines like boring mills, jig borers, vtls, etc. Where a 40k total cost for a like new machine is considered a bargain.

Be also aware that Hardinge, bridgeport are buying back late model machines, going through them, putting new serial numbers on them, and reselling as new. Its cheaper than them making a machine from scratch. I know about this, because i know somebody who has sold back machines to both companies.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
evan price

Re: Zinc ?

Post by evan price »

My craftsman POS drill press is between a tabletop size & Floor size. It's got a light and a laser. It's cheaply made and poorly put together and wobbly and nothing seems stable.
However it drills holes in 1/4" angle iron and included an Irwin machinists vise for $20 at a garage sale. Heck the vise was worth that.
Seller said the belt adjuster was broken. And it was. However nothing prevented me from putting it in a single speed, pulling the motor back with a screwdriver and tightening the bolts all by myself. OK it's not fast adjust anymore.. so what, it was $20.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!