Paging nerds

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
BDK

Paging nerds

Post by BDK »

I need to get the malware pulled out of our wordpress based website, then have it backed up, and updated. Had an intern who was to do it, but I haven't heard from her in a couple days - I suspect she's pulling a millenial.

Anyone want the job?
308Mike

Re: Paging nerds

Post by 308Mike »

What kind of system is your site being hosted (Linux, Windows, or Unix)? And, why can't your host clean the malware from the site? You can backup the WordPress site using UpDraft Plus (a free WP plugin) - or do you have your own server collocated ("Colo'd") and the entire machine is your company's responsibility (because then whoever is going to clean the malware might need additional privileges)?

To backup the site - if you use the UpDraft Plus plugin, all you need is WP hosting for your site and installing the plugin (make sure to FTP the backup files down to your own computer so you have local copies should you need to restore them) - I recommend the open-source & free FTP client, FileZilla, to login to your site and download your files to your computer (some may be quite large, depending on how many images are involved).

If you want to continue this discussion offline, that's fine, you can reach me by email thru this site - but knowing how to login and backup your website is good knowledge to have!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Be careful using FTP... It is apparently not adequately secure these days. I ended up with a bunch of malware or something put on my site at my web host, and after I changed my passwords and stopped using FTP, I have not had another occurrence after having removed all the crap.

Removing it was easier than it might have been since I don’t modify my site often, so I was able to remove everything recent and then scrutinize the relatively fewer files that were left.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Well, you can use SFTP if your server supports it (FileZilla does, you just need to put in port 22 in the Port Box).
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad