Watches - any nerds present?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Weetabix

Watches - any nerds present?

Post by Weetabix »

I've always liked watches, but recently I started reading more. Now, I may be in trouble - quartz, automatic, field watches, diver watches, dress watches.

I was bored with what I had and after starting the reading, I got a Citizen Field watch:

I really like it.

Then, I bought an entry level automatic watch - an Orient Bambino. Orient is a subsidiary of Seiko, but the make their own watches. (Can't seem to attach a picture, but the link should work)

Now, I'm looking at the Hamilton Khaki Field.

Bad side: less money for guns.
Good side: I can use them more often.

Are any of you guys into watches? What do you like?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
g-man

Re: Watches - any nerds present?

Post by g-man »

The Omega Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch" is my grail watch, and will likely get acquired once I retire and pick up a second income. I had a late-60's era Bulova automatic as my dress watch for a while, but when it quit I thought paying more than 10 times what I paid for it (goodwill) to get it repaired was ill-advised.

I have since acquired a Casio Edifice EF-457 as my 'dress' watch (read: what I wear on Sundays or days I'm in civvies for work)

I normally wear a Suunto Ambit 3 Peak, since I wear a uniform most of the time. It's a honkin big watch, but with the combat uniform, it still fits under my cuffs.

I still keep an eye open for a reasonable Seiko diver, and I'd really like an Omega Constellation as a dress watch, but it's likely I'll only be able to afford the former in the foreseeable future.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I want a Rolex Submariner. Very good watch, and they hold theyre value like no other time piece. Which is something of a downside when trying to buy a used one - i saw a good deal on refurbed ones about a year and a hlaf ago, for just over 5k..

The reason why i haven't bought one is im not spending that kind of money for something I'll wear that rarely. I thought about buying a tag Heuer, but they've become popular with "douchebags", and a decent one new is nearly half the cost of a nice used submariner.

Of the decent cheap watches, I'd take Seiko over citizen, but you might want to look at Orient as well.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jered

Post by Jered »

Timex lol
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I couldn't see spending anywhere near that much money on something I would just destroy if I tried to use it. I still need to get my Luminox that I dropped on a tile floor repaired.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

https://www.amazon.com/Suunto-Core-All- ... uunto+core

Had one of these for several years. Then had to get the battery replaced. When they put the new battery in, they shorted the watch out. Would not do anything but give me a $25.00 gift certificate, then went out of business a couple of months later.

Really liked that watch.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I'm hard on watches, years ago my mother-in-law gave me a Peugeot for Christmas, after a few years of daily wear I went to change it for Daylight Savings Time and half the crown has corroded away. I've had few watches last more than a few years until recently.

A few years back my wife gave me a Swiss Army (Victorinox) watch that's been hands-down the best watch I've ever owned. Not terribly expensive (about $200), durable (no sign of corrosion even though I wear it daily). I replace the strap every three or four years, and I buy Swiss Army straps because they're the only leather straps I've found I get more than a year out of. I don't like metal or rubber straps for daily wear, although I have a Bulova with a metal bracelet I wear for dress occasions. And of course new batteries when I need one.

I just took a look so I could post a picture of my watch, they don't seem to make it anymore, and what they do make is more expensive than mine was (although she did buy it almost ten years ago). My watch needs are basic, it has to tell me the time, and the date is nice but not a deal breaker. Doesn't need to shine my shoes, pick my nose or play music.

I love the looks of the Tag Heuer, but there's no way I'll spend that kind of money on a watch. My wife keeps threatening to buy me one, and I tell her if she does I'll return it.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I've got a Swiss Army watch that I've had for several years (like, it's on it's fourth or fifth battery). Titanium case and band, keeps good time, and doesn't weigh a ton. I'll probably keep it until it falls apart, and replace it with as close to an exact duplicate as I can find.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

Not much interest here except for knowing the time of day. So, I buy the best that Walmart has for less than ten dollars. For that I get a black-finished no-name watch with a quartz movement that tells accurate time, a twenty-four hour secondary dial, a brown leatherette strap with a black steel buckle, and at least two years of battery life. I don't wear any jewelry so I don't need a fancy watch; I long ago gave up trying to impress people with flashy stuff.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Dinochrome One wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 pmI don't wear any jewelry so I don't need a fancy watch; I long ago gave up trying to impress people with flashy stuff.
I don't do jewelry either, and I don't care about impressing people. But I do like my stuff to make me happy, do exactly what I want (and no more), and last. That's probably why people around here drop so much money on guns, too. ;)

Now, I'm kind of lusting for a Damasko DA42, though I don't know if I can pay that much.

It's about as big as I want. I like the look. I use bezels. I like day/date. And they hardened the crap out of it, so it should last. But, damn, that's some money.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D