Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
toad

Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Post by toad »

I got nostalgic for a vehicle with a straight 6 engine.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/v ... x-revival/

The last ones available in the US are in the old Jeep Cherokee and the Grand Jeep Cherokee. If my research is correct the latest vehicle with an I6 is the 2006 Grand Cherokee. I can't figure out the difference between the Jeep Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee. Weak google fu on my part.
randy

Re: Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Post by randy »

I had one of the last of the true Cherokees (2001, I don't count the current foolishness).

It was smaller and had fewer features and toys, and thus cost less than the Grand Cherokee.

On a non-tech level it seemed to me (in price, size and features) to be the Jeep equivalent as between a Chevy Blazer and Trailblazer.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I've got a 2017 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4. It's got some bells-and-whistles that I don't need, and don't use, but overall, it's a lot of fun to drive, gets great gas mileage (I'm almost 2 MPG over the stated 25 MPG highway mileage) and I haven't gotten it into anything that it can't get out of. It could have better visibility from the driver's seat, and a little more ground clearance, but for the price, there's nothing out there that would work better for what I need.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

I owned both the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee with the inline 6. The best advice I got about that was both cars use the same engine. The Grand Cherokee weighs 1000 lbs more than the Cherokee and has more crap attached. Plus, the Grand Cherokee was plagued by wierd electrical problems most of it's production run. So, if I had a choice, I'd find a good 2000 or later Cherokee and have fun building it up into a halfway decent trail truck.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Wrangler had the 4.0 through '06 also. Stay away from the 00-01 4.0 engine (which I know rules out the last 2 years of the XJ). The head castings are bad and most of them eventually crack in the vicinity of 150K miles. And it causes issues that will take down the rest of the engine. Don't ask how I know this... The casting numbers of the good and bad heads are the same. You can tell if you have one of the "fixed" heads by removing the oil filler cap, looking down at the top of the head. If the letters "TUPY" are cast into it, you have one of the later good heads.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
evan price

Post by evan price »

The zj is the grand Cherokee, it's a bigger truck with available v8. The I6 in that truck was mediocre due to its increased weight.

The xj cherokee used the I6 from 88 through 01. 96 and newer are the Chrysler design.
The HO 4.0 started in 1991. The 00 and 01 used the coil on plug head which is different. 98 and newer had the casting issues but it's not a big deal to swap heads.
Watch it for rust in the rockers and floors and rear frame extensions.
There's a huge following for xjs and parts are everywhere. It's probably I've of the last straight axle straight six 4wd out there.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

evan price wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:56 am The zj is the grand Cherokee, it's a bigger truck with available v8.
Isnt it also unit body construction?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:05 am
evan price wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:56 am The zj is the grand Cherokee, it's a bigger truck with available v8.
Isnt it also unit body construction?
Yeah, but so is the XJ.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Huh. I c thought the xj was conventional body on frame..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Even the Comanche pickup based on the XJ (MJ?) was a unitized body.