(NPR) Skydrol Resistent paint

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
blackeagle603

(NPR) Skydrol Resistent paint

Post by blackeagle603 »

A question came up from an acquaintance in the avionics design/test business (think he's at Rockwell/Collins currently). Customer has a requirement that paint be able to hold up under exposure to Skydrol. Probably as part of a callout for FAA DO-160 and of the equivalent mil spec (either 883 or 810).

Are polyurethane enamels (e.g. Imron) still a thing in common use? Nasty (and beautiful).

Long time since I exercised my A&P license or spent time in the paint hanger. Need to check in with youz aviation maintenance types and see what's commonly in use these days.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Re: (NPR) Skydrol Resistent paint

Post by Netpackrat »

The Boeing spec is a polyurethane, and it still holds up only just so long when exposed to skydrol. The epoxy primer is BMS10-11 but I don't recall off the top of my head the spec number for the topcoat. At work we use Akzo Nobel Eclipse but last I heard Boeing was using a PPG product for factory paint jobs.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Muy bueno, gracias.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

No problem. FWIW the stuff Boeing uses gets stained from oil, dirt, etc. Haven't seen that problem with the Eclipse.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop