Adding a reloading press to a new workbench

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Windy Wilson

Re: Adding a reloading press to a new workbench

Post by Windy Wilson »

SoupOrMan, those are 4x4 posts as uprights for your bench? I am jealous and impressed. I have a huge workbench from my father, made some 80 years ago plus, but it does not seem so substantial. Be sure to show how you mount your presses to it when it comes time.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Yep. 4x4s. I may not ever drop a small block V-8 on it, but I want something that will withstand that weight.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Press and vise are now mounted. The press is held in the front by two lag screws driven into through the plywood and into the side 2x4 and a regular bolt in back. Pictures to come.

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

buildabangworkshop1.jpg
Here it is in all its glory, with a coat of paint and mounted vise & press.

SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

buildabangworkshop2.jpg
Part 2. Washers almost everywhere. The press is high up enough to where I need to use the old machine stand (where my press used to be) as a seat. The back bolt is drilled through the plywood, washered and double-nutted since I ran out of lock washers. The front two fasteners are lag screws through the plywood into the side 2x4.

SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

buildabangworkshop3.jpg
The front side of the press. The lag screws go through two layers of plywood and then into the 2x4.

SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

And for those truly interested, the vise is just a generic 4" I scrounged out of my late grandfather's workshop when my grandmother moved into her new apartment. It should do for any AR modifications I want to make to my rifles.

Denis

Post by Denis »

Splendid, but your workshop is much too clean and tidy. I can actually see the floor (haven't seen mine in months...)!

Happy reloading and well wear.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I blame my dad, who finds every last speck of sawdust when we're cleaning up after a project. It's also in my basement. It used to seep groundwater during moderate rains until I got the sump system in, so I mop the floor regularly to keep mold and mildew down.

Since that photo was taken I've already started covering it with reloading materials. All that's left is to buy a turret and dies to start reloading 9mm for Dad, get an armorer's wrench and receiver blocks for AR projects and replace my now-low stock of Longshot.

Aaaaand maybe add a progressive press for higher-volume loading. Maybe.