Change=opportunity: Solar hot water

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
SoupOrMan

Re: Change=opportunity: Solar hot water

Post by SoupOrMan »

Now, if I could get a solar steam turbine to work on a regular basis I'd be happy. My neighbors wouldn't be happy, but I would.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

SoupOrMan wrote:Now, if I could get a solar steam turbine to work on a regular basis I'd be happy. My neighbors wouldn't be happy, but I would.
Machinist Mate me cringes at the thought of the pressure, temps, expansion ratios, and revs likely necessary to make this work.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Yeah, it's the pressure that's the problem. You can't get the water flowing fast enough to run a turbine enough to even charge a battery because you can't make the heating tank hot enough. It's why TPVs don't work well without nuclear heat sources.

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

SoupOrMan wrote: It's why TPVs don't work well without nuclear heat sources.
Well then, the solution is obvious. And simple! ;)

(of course, as many including Clausewitz have stated, Simple is NOT the same as easy)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

The last time I brought a Soviet nuclear satellite battery home, everyone got mad at me. So I'm back to square one.