Network cable tester recommendations?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Rich Jordan

Network cable tester recommendations?

Post by Rich Jordan »

We've been getting by at work with an antique that just maps out the network cable wire pairs. I've been asked to come up with recommendations for a more capable unit for testing mostly ethernet twisted pair runs, Cat 3 through at least 6. Wire quality, length, indication of physical problems like kinks or breaks (and if possible at what distance on the cable), and ideally performance/throughput. There's too much noise or interference on this wire; this other wire can do 100Mbits, that one can handle gigabit, that fourth one is capable of doing 10GbE, etc.

The catch is we can't afford the Fluke that can do all that; they start well over $1K. I've got a $500 budget, could maybe push a little over if it buys a worthwhile capability. 10GbE optional but gigabit is pretty much required.

If anyone has suggestions, especially if based on actual use, I'd appreciate it. I already ran Amazon warehouse deals and regional Craigslist for Fluke units but they sure hold their value ;)

Thanks!
Denis

Re: Network cable tester recommendations?

Post by Denis »

DX sells loads of Fluke-alikes:

http://www.dx.com/c/electrical-tools-49 ... From=45.90

This one looks promising, but maybe too simple for what you need?

http://www.dx.com/p/mastech-ms8236-ncv- ... ter-411406
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I think it is too little capabilities. What we _want_ is a Fluke MicroScanner2 or maybe a Fluke CableIQ tester (I haven't had time to compare/contrast them yet) but we just don't have the budget. The Fluke version of the simple tester like that one at DX are barely under our budget... quality tools cost.
BobbyK

Post by BobbyK »

Pick up a CableIQ on ebay or similar (you'd probably be surprised how often they show up at pawn shops).