Windows 10

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
toad

Re: Windows 10

Post by toad »

My money judgement is not well but I've reached a hate for Windows especially my windows 10 such that I've ordered an old Lenova Thinkpad t61.
What the icing on the cake was that 10 locked me out of using the free office suite, so I ended up paying a monthly fee for Office 365. I cancelled that today.
Since I'm retired I've got time to play with Linux.
Amazon has apparently worked the kinks out deliveries to my neighborhood so I'm trying their Amazon prime free trial.
I found out that Amazon Video has set up to play on Linux machines. I'm going to work on learning the text command line. That will be somewhat GNU to me.
If everything goes even half well for me and Linux, I'm going to put this Dell 10 laptop on the market or trade it for alcohol. :(
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

I've got about a month left to upgrade for free here and I'm still on the fence about it. The younger crowd seems to be OK with it when I talk to them, but the older gentlemen, such as at this fine establishment, have very much mixed opinions.
toad

Post by toad »

Part of the problem is caused by the manufacturer of the machine. If they set it up so that safe boot can't be touched after you upgrade to 10 then you will pretty much lose control of the machine. It is kind of like stuff you don't want you get through constant up grades, stuff that you do want will cost you extra.
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

toad wrote: Amazon has apparently worked the kinks out deliveries to my neighborhood so I'm trying their Amazon prime free trial.
I found out that Amazon Video has set up to play on Linux machines. I'm going to work on learning the text command line. That will be somewhat GNU to me.
I see what you did there.

So far with win 10 I hate the pictures app with a passion, though I am gettin used to it.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Windows 10 kept popping up it's little window on my desk top, and I kept deleting it. Finally one day I walked in and it was installing itself anyway. And had control of my computer. So I did a hard shutdown. It stopped Win 10, but it also corrupted some things. So I called up a tech friend, and he came over and pulled most of the stuff I had saved, then was able to do a factory restore.
Then we installed a program that blocks Win 10, including the popup.

He said Win 10 has been giving him multiple headaches with his commercial customers, many of who still use XP Pro. He said they are mega-pissed at Microsoft over Win 10 trying to install itself in their systems.

As for myself, it's just one more reason I don't save highly personal documents on my computers. However I would still like to drop a string of 2500lb JDAMs on Microsoft HQ.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
BDK

Post by BDK »

As an FYI, the state bar of TX had a presentation on maintaining privacy and privilege, which stated there were 12 places datamining had to be turned off on Windows 10
This might be the one thing which pushes back on some of this stuff - lawyers are financially accountable for breaches, and if a lawyer has to pay, so will someone else.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

In a perfect world this is the point at which we round up all the codewriters at Microsoft, hamstring them so they can't run and brand their foreheads, then put them to work cleaning out all the shit.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Old Grafton wrote:In a perfect world this is the point at which we round up all the codewriters at Microsoft, hamstring them so they can't run and brand their foreheads, then put them to work cleaning out all the shit.
I like this idea.

However, I'm pretty sure they added the data-mining features into Win 10 following instructions from "the top", so flogging Microsoft upper management would be a good idea too.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Found and installed GWX Control panel on a different computer several months ago. Would have run Windows 10 on it, but was not compatible (would not install) but that did not stop the annoying pop-ups.

Finally installed it on this computer this morning to stop same.

Linky.

Have not noticed any issues with the control panel software.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Rumpshot wrote:Found and installed GWX Control panel on a different computer several months ago. Would have run Windows 10 on it, but was not compatible (would not install) but that did not stop the annoying pop-ups.

Finally installed it on this computer this morning to stop same.

Linky.

Have not noticed any issues with the control panel software.
I put that on many months ago. It seems to have worked like a charm.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D