Ditching cable

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Dub_James

Ditching cable

Post by Dub_James »

Well, not the cable, but much of the service. $200 a month seems excessive for mainly Net, Amazon and Netflix usage.

Didn't see much discussion here before on it, but what's the cheapest practical way to retain Fox News, maybe a Weather channel or some such, and to do it with a plug in device? The TV's apps don't provide much help regarding browsing.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Weetabix

Re: Ditching cable

Post by Weetabix »

Roku?

Our blue-ray player has a lot of the things you mention available through it - for sure Amazon Prime movies, and Netflix, though I don't use Netflix.

The local broadcast channels have a 24-hour weather channel, and we're not in a huge market. I got the antenna on clearance from monoprice.com.

We have cable internet but no cable service, and I don't feel deprived.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Weetabix wrote:Roku?

Our blue-ray player has a lot of the things you mention available through it - for sure Amazon Prime movies, and Netflix, though I don't use Netflix.

The local broadcast channels have a 24-hour weather channel, and we're not in a huge market. I got the antenna on clearance from monoprice.com.

We have cable internet but no cable service, and I don't feel deprived.
We're looking at doing the same thing - just basic data and phone, drop everything else. I've heard of the Roku, I'll have to look at that.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

What's the best moderately priced antenna?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

skb12172 wrote:What's the best moderately priced antenna?
I got 3 for 12.95 each on clearance from monoprice.com. They all work well enough as long as they're aimed right. They're about 4" x 8" x 1.5", so easy to locate. I don't care enough to get any great antennas. They're meant to be mounted outside, but I have them all inside. One doesn't do as well as the others due to location.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Brand and model?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

skb12172 wrote:Brand and model?
Looked like this. Not sure if it's the same one.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

If you're looking to put up a major antenna and amplifier, I would look at Winegard. It's what I plan to replace my current one with.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt