type while standing?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
toad

type while standing?

Post by toad »

I've developed a case of numb behind by sitting in front my computer. I looked at "ergo" chairs and they want way to much money for them, to I've noticed a couple of articles on standing and typing so I've put a box on my computer table and I'm going to try that for a while.
I was wondering if any of the posters here have tried that and what their results were.
Steamforger

Re: type while standing?

Post by Steamforger »

Two of my supervisors used a desk that can raise or lower as they see fit. Touch of the up or down button and all that. They seem to like them quite a bit.

Something very similar to this
Erik

Post by Erik »

I have seen a lot of people do it, colleagues and others. I also know some companies that have standing stations for work. I havent done it myself for any extended time, but those I have asked says it really helps their backs.

They have the desks that can be raised and lowered, and use them to both be able to sit and stand, and switch positions several times a day.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Greg

Post by Greg »

Standing desks are very trendy right now. The population of people who've switched to standing desks is still relatively small, but like vegans and pilots they seem more than willing to talk about how awesome they are.

Just look online.

Personally I think anyone who's ever worked a job that required standing for long periods would laugh this shit out of the room. Just get up and take a short walk every hour or two.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Baptists aren't allowed to type standing up, because it could lead to dancing.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Aesop wrote:Baptists aren't allowed to type standing up, because it could lead to dancing.
Just one small wrist flex away from the dreaded.... Jazz Hands.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I switched to a standup desk last July. There's tricks to it, building endurance to make a full day, learning to stand well/in a constructive way instead of sloppy. Like it in my socks or 5-Fingers with balls and such on the floor to work my feet as a stand.

Never going back.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
toad

Post by toad »

It is kind of a catch 22 for me. I need to put in more time on my feet to make my bones stronger but at the same time deal with back pain, hip pain, arthritis and such. I going to try to build up to 4 hours and at the same time increase my typing speed. If I can get up to at least a reliable accurate 60 wpm I could get part time data entry work. I'm going to have to spring for a better keyboard than the one on this lap top, it is too narrow for me, I have to reach around my gut and crank my hands too much, and the ten key pad doesn't give me enough feel.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I can't resist a story from my early days in the computer field.

It seems an employee at a company had an unusual problem. If he sat down at his computer, he could type in his password wit no problem. If he stood up in front of the computer, he got an "incorrect password" error. The reason? Two of his keycaps were reversed. When he sat down he touch-typed, so hit the correct key with the incorrect keycap. When standing he did a hunt-and-peck, hit the correct key-cap which was on top of the wrong key.
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

One of the young ladies at work has a platform on her existing desk that raises or lowers with the touch of a lever. It's become trendy "up the hill," in the fancy offices. I would never be able to do it, my back will hurt for a full day if I stand for more than about 20 minutes. If it works for you, then great. My immediate supervisor is very small in stature, and has a ball chair. The regular chairs didn't go low enough to keep the front edge of the seat from causing pain in the backs of her thighs. My only objection to the stools in my lab is that they randomly will sink all the way down while occupied, or randomly raise to maximum height when not occupied. I can find a comfortable working height, but it won't last long. Oh well, it's an easy fix.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.