Build your own teardrop camper.

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Cybrludite

Build your own teardrop camper.

Post by Cybrludite »

Exactly what it says on the tin! A guy took pictures of the process of building his own teardrop camper.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
PawPaw

Re: Build your own teardrop camper.

Post by PawPaw »

Cool! Although my wife prefers Choice Hotels.

I used to camp a lot, and my first wife liked to camp. The kids and I spent a lot of time in the woods with the Boy Scouts, and I feel perfectly comfortable in a tent. Then I went through a divorce, was single, and met my current wife. While she likes to fish and travel, she says that her camping days are over. She even culls Motel 6 as being too primitive.

The beauty of DIY is that you can make whatever you want to make. I've seen some nice campers built on utility trailers. There are a couple of things to consider. By towing a box down the highway, you're subjecting it to tropical storm winds constantly, so it has to be built to withstand those winds. It's bad watching your trailer disassemble itself while being towed down the road.

The next thing to consider is weight. Trailers are rated for a particular weight, and when you start adding a room (which is what you're doing), it's easy to get over that weight. Normally, the tires are the weak link and as you start to get over the rated weight of the tires, they start blowing. We did some work on a utility trailer, made it a little larger, and when loaded with a side-by-side UTV, we went barely over the weight restrictions on the tires. We couldn't keep tires on the trailer until we figured out what was wrong and upgraded the tires/suspension to handle the load.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

It's a nice scale model.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Greg

Post by Greg »

So it's literally a rolling coffin. :lol:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

A teardrop build is on my bucket list, waaaay down there somewhere. My spousal unit got to check out one a friend built when were together up in Yosemite in 2013. She's pretty enthusiastic about it (more than me probably). Kids are all adults now so our 25' trailer with a queen and bunkhouse trailer is overkill. Been parked on hookups as a guest house or boarder house the past several years.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I'd like to be able to sit at a table or in a chair out of the rain with a good reading light. So no canned hams for me. I do want a travel trailer, though. Every year, I say, "This is the year I get one." Then God laughs. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Teardrops are GREAT as hobby trailers, but if you want to spend any REAL TIME LIVING OUT OF ONE, it's going to take a LOT of discipline and organizational ability (like packing a PAPER grocery bag to OPTIMUM fullness - without bursting). Personally, we'll stick with our 24 ft RV!! ;)
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad