Raspberry Pi?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Greg

Re: Raspberry Pi?

Post by Greg »

Rich Jordan wrote:
Greg wrote:
Nah more like 'great minds think alike'. But I'm cooler because I said it first. :lol:
Do you have a Pi? Mine is connected to a powered USB hub, a Philips 20" square aspect monitor, Seagate dock/hard drive, keyboard, mouse, and is currently running USB bitcoin miners that I plucked from a trash can (why not?)

Plus I get my occasional "Un*x" fix on it.
*sniff*

No, I don't have one. Thought they were cool, but could never find a project idea that really grabbed me. Now I have an idea (living room retro gaming setep, with emulators and my X-arcade that I just upgraded to support USB) but I want to hold off for a little while until after we move.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I haven't seen a project that looks cool enough for the learning curve yet either. Maybe a voice-activated Bat Cave, if I had enough stuff to run with it. :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

The newest Pi has more horsepower than a lot of old thin client machines that were used as corporate pc-replacement desktops (usually running Windows embedded edition). I have one I bought cheap off the 'bay that I run Linux on and have considered using it for a couple of different projects. (Main advantage the one I have has over a Pi is that it has a PCI slot.) It should actually be a usable desktop, at least as good as a netbook or Chromebook.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Necro alert!

Well, I finally got one. It's a Pi 3. I'm posting from it now.

I have it hooked up to the HDMI port on a monitor that connects through DVI to my desktop so I can just switch the input. Old USB mouse and keyboard from the junk bin. I'll probably try to ensmallenate it all later.

I'd thought about putting it in the library (as discussed last summer in another thread), but I think the girls have just defaulted to their phones for email and browsing. So, now I need to figure out what to do with it. I'm thinking about doing some of the kids' projects off of raspberrypi.org just to get a feel for it.

I'll bet you could cook up a sous vide controller with it.

Anyone have any great project ideas?

Any of you hams running any digital modes through one?
randy

Post by randy »

I'm not doing anything myself, but several folks in the area are using them for Fldigi and other modes. There is an ongoing discussions on the APRS forums using them for home stations and remote digipeaters.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rich

Post by Rich »

I have one but I haven't done anything with it yet. I have a vague plan to turn it into a NAS (Network Attached Storage) box. Several Linux distros have versions written for the Pi. Right now I have too much on my plate. ;)
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
BDK

Post by BDK »

Pretty sure it's overkill for most sous vide...
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

BDK wrote:Pretty sure it's overkill for most sous vide...
That's not the point. ;)

It would be the glee and mad-scientist cackling involved in making the perfect, overcomplicated soft-boiled egg.
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

RetroPie.

Make an old guy happy. ;)
Greg

Post by Greg »

:jacked:
Gunnuts wrote:RetroPie.

Make an old guy happy. ;)
Pretty much. I bought a Pi2 a couple of months back to build a retrogaming setup. I'm partway there, it's on the queue.