Raspberry Pi?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
BDK
Trigger Junkie

Raspberry Pi?

Postby BDK » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:52 am

Anyone know anything about them? We have a young engineer who wants to use one to automate some of our processes, as part of an internship.

JohnOC
Administrator

Re: Raspberry Pi?

Postby JohnOC » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:01 am

No direct experience with them, though they are wildly popular with people doing intermediate/advanced hardware hacking projects - like process automation. Especially with combinations of off-the-shelf and custom sensors and outputs.

Its an ARM processor running one of several customized distributions of Linux. I'd expect it to be very suitable for running a single application 24/7 for a long, long time without any operating system troubles.
The government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have. – Thomas Jefferson

Rustyv
Case Shiner

Postby Rustyv » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:05 am

Have several projects running on them. They're fantastic general purpose boards that run a version of Linux.

Been running everything from print servers to routers for months on end, been hacking projects together for longer.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams

slowpoke
Trigger Junkie

Postby slowpoke » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:29 am

They're cheep enough that it should not be a problem to prototype it. If i used it for that id make sure to have spares and that it fails safely. Im not aware of any RTOSes for it...
"Islam delenda est" Aesop

skb12172
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby skb12172 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:37 pm

I know a couple of hobbyists that like them. I saw one that had been installed with a monitor and keyboard inside a lunchbox.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:59 am

I've heard it said that if you're looking for a controller, use an Arduino. If you're looking for a microcomputer, use a Raspberry Pi.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

slowpoke
Trigger Junkie

Postby slowpoke » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:49 am

Darrell wrote:I've heard it said that if you're looking for a controller, use an Arduino. If you're looking for a microcomputer, use a Raspberry Pi.

This is true, you can also interface them with each other as well.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:23 am

Darrell wrote:I've heard it said that if you're looking for a controller, use an Arduino. If you're looking for a microcomputer, use a Raspberry Pi.

and if you want something to do both, get a beaglebone black. Lots more i/o. Much faster chip, has USB Ethernet..
EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

BDK
Trigger Junkie

Postby BDK » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:24 pm

OK, so who wants to build one for me, in a water-proof box, with waterproof toggle overrides? (Oh, and controlling line power/three phase contactors.)

Precision, you said you were bored, right? How 'bout learning a new "cooking" skill?

:mrgreen:

The kid got convinced by his father that it was "too much for him" - which is BS - I can post, most, of the process here - will do so in a bit - but its simple.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:32 pm

No matter how you do it, have the designer document the hell out of it. You don't want to have something remotely process critical that no one else can work on. See the thread on Darrell's indispensability to his operation. :mrgreen:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

Rustyv
Case Shiner

Postby Rustyv » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:34 pm

BDK wrote:OK, so who wants to build one for me, in a water-proof box, with waterproof toggle overrides? (Oh, and controlling line power/three phase contactors.)

Precision, you said you were bored, right? How 'bout learning a new "cooking" skill?

The kid got convinced by his father that it was "too much for him" - which is BS - I can post, most, of the process here - will do so in a bit - but its simple.

Pull the kid to the side and ask him to build it anyway. That kind of tinkerer spirit needs to be nurtured, not taken out back and flogged.

If he runs into roadblocks, I'll send you my contact info. If I can't help him, I know folks who can (says the guy currently hacking into the messaging bus in his truck to make his ham radio less wife offending) :ugeek:
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams

BDK
Trigger Junkie

Postby BDK » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:17 pm

I know - but his father is really against it - I tried to explain things to him... Send me a good email - perhaps if I get a mentor for him, I can swing it - the kid wants a good reference from me, and his Dad seems nervous about what I expect from an engineer to get one.

BDK
Trigger Junkie

Postby BDK » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:20 pm

This will have to be built inside a water proof box, with a radiator/other provisions for dealing with heat.

All valves are line power – 110V or 3 phase, the pump is three phase

There will have to be manual override switches, usually with an “Off/On/Auto” feature, for all functions. We can send you our current box, with a Unitronics M 90 in it, if needed, but we think it would be better if you start from scratch.

The thermocouple inside the pasteurizer uses thermostatic wire, and is a:
Pyromation Thermosensor Model:KP43G09M/2 T163
Pyromation, Ft. Wayne, IN.
Pyromation.com

Reads 2˚ high at 51˚. May have an issue, or it may be in the Unitronics. Will need to be able to calibrate the thermocouple to read correctly.

“A” cycle
1. Open Hot Valves
2. Start Glycol Pump
3. Heat to X˚ F
a. If it does not change rapidly in temperature
i. Sound alarm
ii. Open all valves (this is to clear any air pockets which may have formed)
iii. Close all valves, except hot
4. Hold for Y minutes at X˚ F
5. Stop Glycol Pump
6. Close hot valves
7. Open City Water Tap
8. Open city water valves
9. Start Glycol Pump
10. Chill to 100˚F
b. Sound alarm
c. Open all valves for 1 minute
d. Close all valves, except city water
11. Stop Glycol Pump
12. Close City water valves
13. Close City Water Tap
14. Open Ice Builder valves
a. Possibly, start a circulator pump for the ice builder. Uncertain, will obtain more info from the manufacturer.
15. Chill to 36˚F
b. Sound Alarm
d. Close all valves, except ice builder
16. Stop glycol pump
17. Close ice builder valves
18. If temp rises to 38˚F
a. Open Ice builder valves
b. Start Glycol Pump
c. If it doesn’t work.
i. Stop glycol pump
ii. Close ice builder valves
iii. Start chiller
iv. Open chiller valves
v. Start glycol pump

“B” cycle

1. Open Hot Valves
2. Start Glycol Pump
3. Heat to P˚ F
i. Sound alarm
4. Hold for Q minutes at P˚ F
5. Stop Glycol Pump
6. Close hot valves
7. Open city water valves
8. Start Glycol Pump
9. Chill to 100˚F
b. Sound alarm
d. Close all valves, except city water
10. Stop Glycol Pump
11. Close City water valves
12. Open Ice Builder valves
13. Chill to 36˚F
b. Sound Alarm
d. Close all valves, except ice builder
14. Stop glycol pump
15. Close ice builder valves
16. If temp rises to 38˚F
a. Open Ice builder valves
b. Start Glycol Pump
c. If it doesn’t work.
i. Stop glycol pump
ii. Close ice builder valves
iii. Start chiller
iv. Open chiller valves
v. Start glycol pump

“Caustic” Cycle
1. Open Hot Valves
2. Start Glycol Pump
3. Heat to 170˚ F
i. Sound alarm
4. Stop Glycol Pump
5. Close hot valves

“Acid” Cycle
1. Open Hot Valves
2. Start Glycol Pump
3. Heat to 150˚ F
i. Sound alarm
4. Stop Glycol Pump
5. Close hot valves

“Sanitizer” Cycle
1. Open Hot Valves
2. Start Glycol Pump
3. Heat to 140˚ F
i. Sound alarm
4. Stop Glycol Pump
5. Close hot valves

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:29 am

Weetabix wrote:No matter how you do it, have the designer document the hell out of it. You don't want to have something remotely process critical that no one else can work on. See the thread on Darrell's indispensability to his operation. :mrgreen:

The Angry Lesbian has required me to work late all week, trying to get a down flatbed printer up. I pretty much got it up tonight, may have to fine tune in the morning. I was there about three hours late. She actually kissed me on the cheek. :? :oops: The downside is that I've been trying all week to get another look at Comet Lovejoy (looking cool in pics!), and the weather finally cooperated today. Another snowstorm is on the way in though; when I finally got home it was clear as a bell (and did get to see Venus and Mercury in conjunction just off the south side of Pikes Peak). Half an hour later, when I got off my ass and took a pair of binos out, it had totally clouded over.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:06 pm

See? Indispensability sucks for everyone. I used to work with an engineer who always said he wanted to be valuable but not indispensable. I've tried to go that way in my career, too. Sadly for vacations, I'm now closer to indispensable than I like. I need to figure out how to remedy that.

toad
On a list somewhere

Postby toad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:33 pm

Tale from Japanese IT manager. "My problem is not that they don't know programming languages, but that they don't know Japanese!"

UT at Arlington, Texas for a long while had technical writing courses listed in their catalog but the courses never seemed to be available. The Accreditation Association finally came down on them for putting too many courses that didn't exist in their catalog in an attempt to attract students.

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:52 pm

Weetabix wrote:See? Indispensability sucks for everyone. I used to work with an engineer who always said he wanted to be valuable but not indispensable. I've tried to go that way in my career, too. Sadly for vacations, I'm now closer to indispensable than I like. I need to figure out how to remedy that.

I feel your pain. ;)

Post script on the flatbed printer--evidently it is a bad print head. Got one coming in for Saturday delivery, and guess who now has to work tomorrow to install it. Busy season is over, no more OT. I left by 9:30 this morning when I hit 40 hours. They'll have to eat a couple hours of OT for tomorrow, though. Cold, grey and freezing drizzle here today, good day to come home and take a nap. :P
Eppur si muove--Galileo

slowpoke
Trigger Junkie

Postby slowpoke » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:33 am

How many valves and how many pumps?
How many thermocouple inputs, and any other sensors?

Three position three pole switches for the on/off/auto.
Seems pretty simple from the hardware side software not to bad either.
I suggest one of the arduinos, if you have to be fancy you can get the arduinos with built in cpu/ethernet etc, but I recommend you not.

BDK
Trigger Junkie

Postby BDK » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:45 am

Only sensor is the one thermocouple

9 valves, one pump, possibly a circulator pump for the ice builder.

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:59 pm

If you've got a builder bug in your pants, the game is getting pretty interesting at the nexus of 3DP and off the shelf computer "engines"

To wit:
download 3DP files and build a robot around a Snapdragon engine

At CES 2015, Qualcomm Research is introducing its latest innovation in robotics through the Snapdragon Cargo—a flying and rolling robot with an integrated flight controller—powered by a Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ processor.

Inside Snapdragon Cargo is a multi-functional computing platform. This hardware and software platform is built around the Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC to provide a low-power solution that integrates multi-core processing, wireless communications, sensor integration, positioning and real-time I/O for multiple robotics applications...

The Snapdragon Micro Rover is a 3D printable robot that serves as a catalyst to the robot hobbyist community; with it, users can create their own robotics applications with their smartphones. The blueprints to create this simple, easy-to-build, 3D-printable robot are free to download, as are sample applications. It’s designed to use the compute functionality of a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor within a smartphone. Place the smartphone in the Micro Rover and load the sample apps for autonomous operations.b
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:01 pm

wait til the IED guys figure this out. <shudder>
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Anyone interested in these things.... a new Raspberry Pi model came out a few days ago.

It's called the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B. Hardware upgrade. Fits in Raspberry Pi Model B+ cases. It has 1GB RAM and a new SoC with 4 cpu cores (instead of 1) at 900MHz (instead of 700) of a newer design. Same $35 suggested price.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Precision
Active Shooter

Postby Precision » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:44 am

BDK wrote:OK, so who wants to build one for me, in a water-proof box, with waterproof toggle overrides? (Oh, and controlling line power/three phase contactors.)

I am always up for learning, but I really have no idea what we are talking about here. I mean I get that it is a thermocoupled pumping switch of some sort. Beyond that I have no basis to know if I even have the capacity to build this. If it was for me to play with and curse if I failed. I'd be all over it. Knowing what you do for a living. Might not be the best idea. :lol:

Besides we are starting a business or two and currently helping to put together a wedding for Dawn's older son. Life is almost good. Add some income and it will be good. Especially now that Dawn's prognosis seems to be quite good.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/

BDK
Trigger Junkie

Postby BDK » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:36 am

Glad to hear things are doing better!

Our fabricator can program ladder language so he's going to take a crack at programming our existing controller.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:58 am

Another FYI, in case anyone is into these things. I personally find myself tempted to turn a Pi (or something like one) into a retro gaming platform.

And there is a whole market of these things now, though the Raspberry Pi is probably the best known and with the largest community built up around it.

http://linuxgizmos.com/ringing-in-2015- ... cker-sbcs/
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:55 pm

There's a new updated Raspberry Pi that is becoming available (as orders catch up). 900MHz quad core, 1GB RAM, still $35. Plus if you're not up to handling an actual operating system, Windows 10 will be available to run on the unit.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:31 pm

Rich Jordan wrote:There's a new updated Raspberry Pi that is becoming available (as orders catch up). 900MHz quad core, 1GB RAM, still $35. Plus if you're not up to handling an actual operating system, Windows 10 will be available to run on the unit.

Look four messages up. I only beat you by a week. ;)

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:58 pm

Greg wrote:
Rich Jordan wrote:There's a new updated Raspberry Pi that is becoming available (as orders catch up). 900MHz quad core, 1GB RAM, still $35. Plus if you're not up to handling an actual operating system, Windows 10 will be available to run on the unit.

Yeah sorry, I snuck in at work and missed that. my bad

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:18 pm

Rich Jordan wrote:
Greg wrote:

Yeah sorry, I snuck in at work and missed that. my bad

Nah more like 'great minds think alike'. But I'm cooler because I said it first. :lol:

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:02 pm

Greg wrote:
Nah more like 'great minds think alike'. But I'm cooler because I said it first. :lol:

Do you have a Pi? Mine is connected to a powered USB hub, a Philips 20" square aspect monitor, Seagate dock/hard drive, keyboard, mouse, and is currently running USB bitcoin miners that I plucked from a trash can (why not?)

Plus I get my occasional "Un*x" fix on it.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:18 pm

Rich Jordan wrote:
Greg wrote:

Do you have a Pi? Mine is connected to a powered USB hub, a Philips 20" square aspect monitor, Seagate dock/hard drive, keyboard, mouse, and is currently running USB bitcoin miners that I plucked from a trash can (why not?)

Plus I get my occasional "Un*x" fix on it.

*sniff*

No, I don't have one. Thought they were cool, but could never find a project idea that really grabbed me. Now I have an idea (living room retro gaming setep, with emulators and my X-arcade that I just upgraded to support USB) but I want to hold off for a little while until after we move.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:01 pm

I haven't seen a project that looks cool enough for the learning curve yet either. Maybe a voice-activated Bat Cave, if I had enough stuff to run with it. :D

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:29 am

The newest Pi has more horsepower than a lot of old thin client machines that were used as corporate pc-replacement desktops (usually running Windows embedded edition). I have one I bought cheap off the 'bay that I run Linux on and have considered using it for a couple of different projects. (Main advantage the one I have has over a Pi is that it has a PCI slot.) It should actually be a usable desktop, at least as good as a netbook or Chromebook.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:05 am

Necro alert!

Well, I finally got one. It's a Pi 3. I'm posting from it now.

I have it hooked up to the HDMI port on a monitor that connects through DVI to my desktop so I can just switch the input. Old USB mouse and keyboard from the junk bin. I'll probably try to ensmallenate it all later.

I'd thought about putting it in the library (as discussed last summer in another thread), but I think the girls have just defaulted to their phones for email and browsing. So, now I need to figure out what to do with it. I'm thinking about doing some of the kids' projects off of raspberrypi.org just to get a feel for it.

I'll bet you could cook up a sous vide controller with it.

Anyone have any great project ideas?

Any of you hams running any digital modes through one?

randy

Postby randy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:23 am

I'm not doing anything myself, but several folks in the area are using them for Fldigi and other modes. There is an ongoing discussions on the APRS forums using them for home stations and remote digipeaters.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

Rich
On a list somewhere

Postby Rich » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:46 am

I have one but I haven't done anything with it yet. I have a vague plan to turn it into a NAS (Network Attached Storage) box. Several Linux distros have versions written for the Pi. Right now I have too much on my plate. ;)
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964

BDK
Trigger Junkie

Postby BDK » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Pretty sure it's overkill for most sous vide...

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:21 pm

BDK wrote:Pretty sure it's overkill for most sous vide...

That's not the point. ;)

It would be the glee and mad-scientist cackling involved in making the perfect, overcomplicated soft-boiled egg.

Gunnuts
Case Shiner

Postby Gunnuts » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:49 pm

RetroPie.

Make an old guy happy. ;)

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:38 pm

:jacked:
Gunnuts wrote:RetroPie.

Pretty much. I bought a Pi2 a couple of months back to build a retrogaming setup. I'm partway there, it's on the queue.

Gunnuts
Case Shiner

Postby Gunnuts » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:26 pm

Greg wrote::jacked:
Gunnuts wrote:RetroPie.

Pretty much. I bought a Pi2 a couple of months back to build a retrogaming setup. I'm partway there, it's on the queue.

Built one for my dad for Christmas.

He's having fun. :D

g-man
Trigger Junkie

Postby g-man » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:14 pm

Mi Pi2 sits in the garage and I use it for bench testing my astro webcam. I'm trying to get it sorted out for being able to autoguide, but it doesn't want to hook up to my mount correctly. I should probably work out how the software is supposed to work on a full-size laptop, then go to the plugged-in RasPi, then work up to remote controlling it from a tablet. Still, it's got a decent connection over wifi to the intarwebz, so pulling up references when I'm out working on stuff in the garage is really handy.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Old Grafton
Trigger Junkie

Postby Old Grafton » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:29 am

I know exactly nothing WTF about any of this....Can one be hooked to a Dillon 650? :lol:
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:43 am

Old Grafton wrote:I know exactly nothing WTF about any of this....Can one be hooked to a Dillon 650? :lol:

A dollop of JB Weld should do the trick.

BDK
Trigger Junkie

Postby BDK » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:14 pm

Weet, unless you're going to start automating machinery to move products in and out of different temperature baths - which would be fascinating, sous vide is little more than a crock pot hooked to a thermostat

BDK
Trigger Junkie

Postby BDK » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:14 pm

But automated blanching has possibilities...

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:19 pm

BDK wrote:Weet, unless you're going to start automating machinery to move products in and out of different temperature baths - which would be fascinating, sous vide is little more than a crock pot hooked to a thermostat

"The fascinating thing about a dancing bear is not how well it dances, but that it dances at all."

I bought a Raspberry Pi Ultimate Starter Kit(!). It has a GPIO extension board, several experiments, and code to work with.

I got xrdp to work so I don't have two sets of keyboards and mice confusing me. Ran and edited some of the most rudimentary code in the world. I'm going to go through the experiments, then see if I can come up with something amusing on my own. I'm still interested in the sous vide to see if I can get the bear to dance at all. ;)

Oh, yeah: necro alert!

Kommander
Active Shooter

Postby Kommander » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:57 am

I am fascinated by these things but can not think up a single use I would have for them. The only things like this ive ever played with is a nixie tube clock whose tubes sadly started to leek some years ago.

g-man
Trigger Junkie

Postby g-man » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:38 am

Whole-network ad blocking: Pi-Hole. Saw it over on another forum I'm on and have it on my to-do list.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:02 am

A few years ago I picked up a couple of the USB ASIC miners for bitcoin dirt cheap during one of the coin's downturns. They were obsolete even then. I use a gen 1 Raspberry PI to run cgminer and drive the miners; they've been chewing away at a mining pool for a few years now.

I wish I could say they're earning a lot but with the increases in BTC value, they are more than breaking even. The power usage is surprisingly low.

I think the biggest USB miners top out at 60 ~GHashes/sec; that is far far from break-even these days but its still a bit of fun.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:56 am

BDK wrote:Weet, unless you're going to start automating machinery to move products in and out of different temperature baths - which would be fascinating, sous vide is little more than a crock pot hooked to a thermostat

Its actualy a pump with aheater connected to a PID and a thermocouple. :ugeek:

Regarding the origianl problem, wouldnt a cheap plc from somebody like automation direct be a simpler and cheaper solution?

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

BDK
Trigger Junkie

Postby BDK » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:04 pm

OK so the little propeller to stir the water, a crockpot and a thermostat.

Smart ass.

It’s a handy cooking method, and I like it

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:16 pm

Am loving the sous vide unit I got earlier this year. Clips on the side of a stock pot. I just use ziplock bags and express all the air under water as I zip it closed -- don't have a vacuum sealer and don't see the need at this point.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:38 pm

blackeagle603 wrote:Am loving the sous vide unit I got earlier this year. Clips on the side of a stock pot. I just use ziplock bags and express all the air under water as I zip it closed -- don't have a vacuum sealer and don't see the need at this point.

What are you cooking? Meat? Veggies? Souffles?

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Thus far various meats. Can make an average cut of beef great and a great cut even better.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:33 pm

blackeagle603 wrote:Thus far various meats. Can make an average cut of beef great and a great cut even better.

Any schmuck can cook a halfway decent sirloin, with some practice. But chicken or more importantly fish? So easy to screw up, that restaurants do it all the time. The there's the so-called "chefs cuts" of beef that are damn near impossible to cook right using conventional methods..

I've even seen the big industrial circulators used to cook whole fish in a tub filled with oil! :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Any schmuck can cook a halfway decent sirloin, with some practice.

And I dare say, that includes me. Better than the average bear by all accounts. However, IMHO sous vide takes it to whole 'nother level. At least judging by the silence around the table that usually greats me when guests get into their first bite.

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:53 pm

Raspberry Pis are popular right now with the techno-geeks in the LSA and ultralight community. They're using them for ADS-B "in" . Paired with the correct dongles, they can get weather as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Aviation-Weather-ADS-B-Traffic-Receiver/dp/B01HFY75ZG
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:42 am

I just picked up an Ubiquiti Unifi AP Pro for home; I'm tired of wireless issues but don't have the money for enterprise grade equipment. It takes a controller on the LAN to modify settings, do statistical monitoring, or provide cloud access and a Pi is a supported option. I'm going to set up my Pi 2 thats been sitting in its box for that.

The AP is already working so much better than the SonicPoint it replaced (which was better than the Netgear and the Linksys that preceded).

Return to “Tech Talk”