Cheap satellite communication

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
toad

Cheap satellite communication

Post by toad »

Elon Musk is trying to put about 700 comparatively inexpensive satellites in low earth orbits for Internet use.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1939 ... satellites
What I'm wondering is can the ground phones be made cheaply or perhaps an add on for current smartphones to access the satellite network? Can the system be made secure from government and hacker interference? Could peer to peer connections between the satellites, the ground phones, and perhaps the servers be used for encryption to keep communications private?
Yogimus

Re: Cheap satellite communication

Post by Yogimus »

if it is wireless, it will be hacked. Nothing is government free.

This is why rights are so damned important. Strengthen the 4th amendment, not the network
BDK

Post by BDK »

Anything satellite based will have a decent amount of lag time.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

lagtime? Not from LEO's.

No different in that (timing) respect than Globalstar phones.

Low cost bent pipe birds I presume in this plan. Wonder what the plan is for Gateways...
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I still think using high altitude drones makes more sense. Cheaper too, I would think.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

yeah, I don't know the breakeven math. However, it's not all that it seems or it would be being done with drones or blimps. That's not a trivial recurring cost and management problem. Also, the bent pipe is only part of the system cost. Don't discount the cost of the gateways that are required in either case. Also sat launch is a one time cost (for the life the birds). And small satellites can go up in batches on a single launch.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Yogimus wrote:This is why rights are so damned important. Strengthen the 4th amendment, not the network
I agree with the first point, but why not do both?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Because the second is a pipedream and a money sink beyond a certain point.
BDK

Post by BDK »

After 9/11, so is the 4th. (A pipe dream, that is.)
toad

Post by toad »

I find it interesting that Google, Musk, and other companies are playing with drones, balloons, cheap satellites and other means to work around ground the ground based internet. I suspect the market is for more than just cheap Internet service to large areas like China, India, and third world countries poor land line infrastructure. They could be after the market for secure communications. ???