PS4 or XBOX One?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
tcourtplayer

PS4 or XBOX One?

Post by tcourtplayer »

ok, so the wife and I are looking at getting one of these for our family gift to ourselves for Christmas. What are the pros/cons of each? From my research it seams that the PS4 is the better game system but XBOX is the better "entertainment" system. Right now I'm leaning towards the PS4 because I already have the PS3 and so I have their online account and am comfortable with he controls. So other than having better exclusive games (HALO) is there any point in switching to the XBOX?
JAG: So why do you need armor piercing ammo?
tcourtplayer: Zombies
JAG: For when they hide behind engine blocks?
tcourtplayer: Just because the movies say they will be dumb and slow doesn't make it true.
JAG: WOW!!!
MiddleAgedKen

Re: PS4 or XBOX One?

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

If you have young kids, I'd say Wii U (we really enjoy ours), but if not and if you're looking at games like HALO you'd be better off with one of the others.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Honestly, for young kids 8 and under, I would pick up an old Gamecube. Still the best entertainment system ever for the very young, in my opinion. Games like Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion. Great stuff. For the Family Gift, I would say get what you feel more comfortable with. Coke vs Pepsi, and all that.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
tcourtplayer

Post by tcourtplayer »

We already have Wii and this would be a game system for mainly me with my wife using it mainly for Netflix and movie watching
JAG: So why do you need armor piercing ammo?
tcourtplayer: Zombies
JAG: For when they hide behind engine blocks?
tcourtplayer: Just because the movies say they will be dumb and slow doesn't make it true.
JAG: WOW!!!
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Option one, build a cheap steam-box PC for the TV for 400 bucks. Now that THAT advice is being ignored, I recommend XBOX1 purely for connectivity (which you have to pay for, but is better than PS4)
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

tcourtplayer wrote:We already have Wii and this would be a game system for mainly me with my wife using it mainly for Netflix and movie watching
You might want a Roku instead - a Roku 3 refurb from Woot cost around 60 bucks.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to pick a console, and then said "just kidding, take the XBone" I'd pick the PS4.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

It really depends on what games you want to play. If you already have a PS3 and online account, and like the controls, sounds like it's an easy decision.

I was a huge Halo fan, Gears of War fan, and liked the Xbox controller. Still waiting for the prices to come down on Xbox 1, and there are still lots of good 360 games we haven't played yet.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL