Mazda 6--First Update

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
HTRN

Re: Mazda 6 (Was New Car Blues Redux)

Post by HTRN »

because A)I like Suburbans, B) you can sleep in them without being cramped, and C) a 3/4 with the big block can tow 10K pounds.

To be fair, I'd still use the gokart as a daily driver -putting a bill and a half in gas every week in the tank was no fun.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:because A)I like Suburbans, B) you can sleep in them without being cramped, and C) a 3/4 with the big block can tow 10K pounds.

To be fair, I'd still use the gokart as a daily driver -putting a bill and a half in gas every week in the tank was no fun.
When we had the rental Expedition, I once put gas in and hit the $100 cutoff and it didn't fill the tank. :o :(
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

That happened pretty much every time I filled up the burb - it had a 42 gallon gas tank, and putting 30+ gallons in each time was par for the course.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Greg wrote:
You whip it to top gear and stay there until you need to take a piss break or put gas in the car. Fun. :lol:
This. I can drive an auto-magic on the interstate between Phoenix and LA, or up I-5. Driving one in town would drive me absolutely bug-fuck. There is some idiot paying more attention to his iPhone than the road, and you save precious milliseconds getting around said moron with a clutch.

Given the amount of water I had to drive through today, I am very glad I was driving a stick, because I was constantly dropping gears to keep rpms and control up.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I've been driving the car for two weeks now, and I have to say I love it so far. Looks good, handles and rides well, comfortable, no problems. I'm getting 30 mpg in city driving (was rated at 26 mpg). I use the cruise control a lot to help keep my foot out of it. It's rated 38 mph highway, I've yet to take a long trip in it to compare.

The Skyactive technology package in the top end version includes regenerative braking, which charges a large capacitor, I think, and is fed back into the system to help electrical systems draw. They claim to get an additional 2 mpg with it. Interesting that a non-electric/hybrid vehicle would use such a thing, a look at the future, no doubt. I caught a Formula E (Electric) race last weekend, very high tech cars. I imagine racing R&D will help drive technology over to the civilian sector. They are not slow. Heck, they've been running an electric class up on the Pikes Peak Hill Climb for some years now, they're not slow, either.

ETA: Filled up and washed the car today. Calculated mileage was 32.6 mpg. That's as good as the Matrix usually did in the city.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Darrell

Re: Mazda 6--First Update

Post by Darrell »

Another update: been driving the car for two months now, and I'm still digging it. I put permanent plates on it, and discovered something that makes the car go faster--I got a Zoom-Zoom stainless license plate frame. :lol: I'm gonna get a speeding ticket if I'm not careful! 8-)
Eppur si muove--Galileo