Mazda 6--First Update

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Weetabix

Re: New Car Blues Redux

Post by Weetabix »

CByrneIV wrote:Only 15% of Americans even know how to drive a stick anymore, and manuals make up just 3-4% of sales.
My 16 yo is learning to drive. My wife and I told her she was going to learn on a stick. After she has her license she could drive an automatic. She's doing pretty well.

One day, unbeknownst to us, one of her siblings let her drive one of the automatics.

She said, "That's all?!? There's nothing to do!"
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Re: Mazda 6 (Was New Car Blues Redux)

Post by Netpackrat »

The only reason my Jeep has a manual is at the time I ordered it, the only automatic offered was a 3 speed with no overdrive.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

HTRN wrote:
Aesop wrote: No one wants a manual trans. who's ever been stuck in bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go for three hours, and had their thigh quad muscles quivering in fiery spasms.
My commute is probably the most traffic heavy of anyone here. When looking for a beater, it had to be cheap, a gas miser, reliable(Toyota or Honda) and an auto. Driving a stick on the BQE in rushhour traffic is the textbook definition of masochism.
What did you choose?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Greg

Post by Greg »

skb12172 wrote:
HTRN wrote:
Aesop wrote: No one wants a manual trans. who's ever been stuck in bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go for three hours, and had their thigh quad muscles quivering in fiery spasms.
My commute is probably the most traffic heavy of anyone here. When looking for a beater, it had to be cheap, a gas miser, reliable(Toyota or Honda) and an auto. Driving a stick on the BQE in rushhour traffic is the textbook definition of masochism.
What did you choose?
About a 10 year old 4 cylinder Accord is probably about right, though I am curious to hear the real answer too. :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Not far off. a bit older, and a Toyota. :D

Mileage was low for the age, under a 100k..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Are CVTs there yet? I read that Honda's has it over the other makes.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Sometimes, I think that a car's "soul" is the mechanical rumblings, particularly its need to say "I am a machine, feel my vibrations and know me intrinsically."

Then the bitch eats 3 alternators for no reasonably discernible cause. I fight off my own cynicism. Then I see the bill and I realize that this is a romantic notion possessed by people with far too much money. I come to a conclusion.

I will take a soulless econoricebox over soulfull Muricar any day of the week.
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:Not far off. a bit older, and a Toyota. :D

Mileage was low for the age, under a 100k..
A Camry from the '96-'01 generation? Lovely appliance on wheels, and should be enough of them to choose from. (My sister had one, my stepfather had one, and several friends and coworkers all had them.)

Unfortunately that was from before Toyota discovered horsepower, so the 4 cylinder of that vintage has worse power-to-weight than my '00 Civic had, so it's going to be a bit pokey.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

It's got a bit of pep, compared to the vehicle it replaced(3 ton Suburban).

I have been lovingly referring to it as "the fucking gokart", because it feels like one after driving big Chevys for 15 years.

I've already started looking for another 'burb, but this time, it's gonna be a 3/4 ton with a 454... Hey, if you're gonna have shitty mileage, might as well have something that can tow a dump truck. :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:It's got a bit of pep, compared to the vehicle it replaced(3 ton Suburban).

I have been lovingly referring to it as "the fucking gokart", because it feels like one after driving big Chevys for 15 years.

I've already started looking for another 'burb, but this time, it's gonna be a 3/4 ton with a 454... Hey, if you're gonna have shitty mileage, might as well have something that can tow a dump truck. :mrgreen:
My wife grew up with pretty much nothing but Chevy pickups and SUV's. The 'family' car in her family was always either a Suburban or a Tahoe. She used to call my Civic a "skateboard".

Any reason you need the extra ass to haul around, instead of a Tahoe?