custom newsfeeds for specific auto-related websites

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Rich Jordan

custom newsfeeds for specific auto-related websites

Post by Rich Jordan »

I've been dallying a bit with trying to monetize some domains I've held on to for years. I have no illusions of making a lot of money but it would be nice if they'd pay for their own renewals. Three are car related (specifically Mopar related, but no trademark issues) and one is firearm related (and historical firearms at that). They are currently hosted at a site that provides 'mini-sites' that you build, with a template for ads from Google, Amazon, etc; not just a parking site.

The four mini-sites have between 3 and 10 pages of content (all put together by me). The host provides the option of including a news feed, and it works but on the gun domain the only news entries I ever got were 'evil bad awful guns killers gangs', etc no matter what relevant keywords I tried; even gun collections, history, antiques and collecting kept bringing up new york times slanted links. The good news is I found a custom feed (ammoland) that was pro-gun, and it works pretty well.

Well the default feed for the Mopar related domains keeps bringing up only financial news for 'Chrysler', 'Mopar', 'Dodge', etc as the keyword. Currently that is Fiat buying the remaining shares of Chrysler and then potentially going public with the new company. "Trans-Am racing" doesn't bring up much (its the most accurate keyword for one of the domains). By chance does anyone know of some good custom/purpose made news feeds for car hobbies, hot-rodding, racing that isn't limited to indycar or nascar, etc? It'd be nice to get more relevant news articles.

This is just for the news window, not the ads, which are easier to control.

And no, so far the domains aren't paying for their renewal but at least I'm learning.

Thanks