tell me about dashcams

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Greg

tell me about dashcams

Post by Greg »

This is a subject that's been interesting me more and more recently. Having people regularly try to kill me during my commute does that.

I've been doing some research on the subject, and so far what I've found is a website or two and that some people like a line of cameras under the brand name Blackvue, made by some Korean firm. They seem to be the cat's meow on features, but reliability is poor.

Does anyone here have any practical experience with dash cams? (No need to link any Russian dash cam car - or plane! - crash videos, I've seen them.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Aglifter

Re: tell me about dashcams

Post by Aglifter »

I would think a Go Pro could be set up to work.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
randy

Post by randy »

...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
toad

Post by toad »

Could be right handy for insurance purposes. There have been a couple of instances in the past when i would have liked to have a video of a car driver looking right at me at an intersection and still pull out right in front of me when I was riding a motorcycle.
Denis

Post by Denis »

DX.com has more car DVRs than you can shake a stick at. You can sort by price, and/or by best reviews.
Erik

Post by Erik »

I've been looking at it myself. This is the best source of info I've found.

It really isn't hard to find a dash cam, I've even found apps that lets you use your smartphone. The problem is to find a cam that's useful. I don't want to rig it every time I get into a car, I want to be able to mount it and forget about it. It should start when I start the car, stop when I stop, and record over old recordings when the memory is full. That way I can just leave it there until I might need the video.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Greg

Post by Greg »

Erik wrote:I've been looking at it myself. This is the best source of info I've found.

It really isn't hard to find a dash cam, I've even found apps that lets you use your smartphone. The problem is to find a cam that's useful. I don't want to rig it every time I get into a car, I want to be able to mount it and forget about it. It should start when I start the car, stop when I stop, and record over old recordings when the memory is full. That way I can just leave it there until I might need the video.
I've been looking at that site (particularly the forums), there seems to be quite a bit of useful information there but the signal-to-noise ratio is pretty low....
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr