3D printing a gun

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Cobar

Re: 3D printing a gun

Post by Cobar »

It is always nice when you actually have the hardware on hand for a job.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Cobar wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:58 pm Thanks, NPR. I'm going to make one of those for sure.
Just drill a hole the right size in a piece of 2x4
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

HTRN wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:53 pm
Cobar wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:58 pm Thanks, NPR. I'm going to make one of those for sure.
Just drill a hole the right size in a piece of 2x4
Now....don't be peeing in their cornflakes. ;)
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

That isn't as much fun
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

That's more of an LTRN solution.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Neat!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:37 am That's more of an LTRN solution.
Well, I don't have a call to straighten much brake line. :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:33 am Image
I disagree - the "best" would be that Stainless filament that needs post print processing, but that's obviously a nogo. The second best Is that carbon fiber infused nylon that I linked to, but it requires a very high temp hot end, an enclosed printer, and here's bed that can go up hot enough.

And it's "Murica". :mrgreen:

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah at some point I need to start experimenting with CF nylon on the Voron. I bought an Obxidian nozzle for it which I have yet to use. The problem with ABS and ASA for printing guns, is that AFAIK the designs that are currently out there are intended for PLA, which doesn't shrink like ABS/ASA or warp nearly as much. People have tried printing them from ABS and found they had clearance problems, etc. The ABS shrinkage may be the reason that mag loader didn't work well for me.

I need to do more research on the best build surface for that too. I have been using the standard powder coated textured PEI sheet that came with the kit, but I see that Prusa now offers a sheet specifically for printing nylon, so there may be something better available for the Voron as well.