3D printing a gun

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Netpackrat

Re: 3D printing a gun

Post by Netpackrat »

Ended up going whole hog on the 3D printed nerf blasters:

The one on top is mine; I am calling it the Violet Offender. The green one is my son's, and I just gave the red one to my brother for his birthday. It seems to have been a big hit, BUT, these ended up having a little more power than I had originally expected, to the point of being actually a little dangerous. I changed them from having an 8# spring down to a 5# spring, which was better, but we still need to go lighter than that. I tried to chronograph mine briefly but I couldn't get the chrony to pick up the dart. From what I have seen on YouTube, 200+ FPS is common, and some builders have managed to get over 300 out of theirs.

One thing that was kind of funny over at my brothers place, with all the kids that were there (mine, his, and his brother in law's bunch), it didn't take long before one of the kids figured out that the half length darts that the Lynx takes can also be fired by a standard nerf blaster, which will yield a significant velocity increase due to the lighter weight. :lol:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Kids pick up on stuff like that pretty fast. They haven't had a lifetime of becoming comfortable with things a certain way.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Those look super cool. 40mm?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The darts are 13mm x 38mm.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Here's an addendum to the nerf blaster project that may be of more serious use to some of the members here. The Lynx blaster doesn't have a grip or handle on its pump, just a section of rail that you have to attach your own grip to. I looked at what was on Printables and I chose the one that I disliked the least, but it turned out to be kind of a mediocre design hardware and assembly wise, so I thought I could do better:

https://www.printables.com/model/756126 ... ail-stubby

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

And now, for something completely different:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/SXs6Ky2LZHQ