robots to search out "non-cooperative " humans.

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
HTRN

Re: robots to search out "non-cooperative " humans.

Post by HTRN »

esa5444 wrote:I am pretty sure that machinists were a central stereotype of "non-cooperative humans".
"non cooperative humans"=cranky asshole? :mrgreen:

And one of the reasons I want a CNC lathe is so I don't have to pay 3 bucks a bucks each for solids. :shock: I keep looking at Siegs KC6 and debate over simply buying one(not likely, They $5k pounds in GB), modifying a 8x14(really the best of the minilathes), or simply buying a headstock from Littlemachineshop and building a gangtooled linear slide machine.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
esa5444

Post by esa5444 »

[quote="HTRN"][quote="esa5444"]
"non cooperative humans"=cranky asshole? :mrgreen:
/quote]

I think machinist makes "cranky asshole" look like the good-humor man. I have found, though, that the way to get them to do things is to be more cranky, ill-tempered, and mean than they are. I can pull it off quite a bit of the time. All you have to do is basically hate everything and everybody, and let that feeling come out in your actions and words. It's not terribly far from where I am normally, so I've had good luck getting things done.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

esa5444 wrote:I have found, though, that the way to get them to do things is to be more cranky, ill-tempered, and mean than they are.
Not. Possible. :mrgreen:

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I figured as long as they were looking for "humans," machinists would be safe...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Ben Rumson

Post by Ben Rumson »

I've never needed a robot to tell me I'm non-cooperative.
esa5444

Post by esa5444 »

HTRN wrote:
esa5444 wrote:I have found, though, that the way to get them to do things is to be more cranky, ill-tempered, and mean than they are.
Not. Possible. :mrgreen:
Admittedly, the machinists that I deal with are the ones that work at the school rather than in a production machine shop. The fact they hardly ever make more than one of anything probably makes them a bit less cranky, ill-tempered, and mean than your typical mill-running machinist. I have had success, however, at my aforementioned method when dealing with the school machinists.
I have a trick though. I do it in the morning, before I have eaten, and with a stomach full of coffee. Also, before I go into the machine shop, I think of hippies, I hate hippies!
cu74

Post by cu74 »

esa5444 wrote:Admittedly, the machinists that I deal with are the ones that work at the school rather than in a production machine shop. The fact they hardly ever make more than one of anything probably makes them a bit less cranky, ill-tempered, and mean than your typical mill-running machinist. I have had success, however, at my aforementioned method when dealing with the school machinists.
I have a trick though. I do it in the morning, before I have eaten, and with a stomach full of coffee. Also, before I go into the machine shop, I think of hippies, I hate hippies!
Eugene, you will do well on the world outside of academia. :D
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

esa5444 wrote:Admittedly, the machinists that I deal with are the ones that work at the school rather than in a production machine shop.
I too have met University Machinists. They can pass as "people". :mrgreen:

Also, the ones I met are clueless hacks. Go find an Aerospace Jobshop - you learn to work GOOD and FAST. 8-)

HTRN