Ham Radio

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Rumpshot

Ham Radio

Post by Rumpshot »

Just a quick check. Who has a Ham Radio License? What Operating Privileges do you have? Any interest in setting up a schedule? What band?

I am a General Class and can work the appropriate bands in hf, vhf, and uhf.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
BobbyK

Re: Ham Radio

Post by BobbyK »

KE4JUR, still a tech. Haven't done much in the hobby for years, but I keep the license up to date. I was 11 when I got it originally, and while I'm sure that my age made the testing seem worse than it was, I'm not particularly keen on repeating it.
randy

Post by randy »

Extra Class (some would say a Class B Extra as I only passed the 13WPM code test. Hadn't quite got to 20WPM when the FCC drop the code speed to 5WPM, but had already passed the written).

Just a reminder for any Tech or Novice types out there. There is no longer a code requirement for any US Amateur Radio license. You just need to pass the written for General (and Extra if you so desire. They dropped Advanced years ago)

For you and any one without a license, discussion of licensing and study materials in The Book of Armaments near the bottom of the article.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Ke5tnu here. I am a general class, but I will be getting my book for extra this fall, and plan on taking the test in the winter.
JohnOC

Post by JohnOC »

N1SIV here, tech class.

I've been suffering from a severe lack of round tuits for even getting my hands on the General and Extra class study material, nevermind trying to find time to study it.
The government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have. – Thomas Jefferson
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Guess I forgot something. N7PXD here, formerly KA6PXD.

As far as upgrading is concerned, I got my Novice in 1981. 5 WPM code. Upgraded to Tech in 87 or 88. Tried, not very hard, to study for General. Finally printed off the question/answer bank and read through it about twice and took/passed the General exam in 2007. Guess I qualify for the Quarter Century Wireless Association now.

Most of the geeks that muscle Unix and other computers/operating systems around should be able to pass the General exam in relatively short order. The exam is pretty straight forward. Some basic electronics, some law, mostly common sense stuff.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Hartley

Post by Hartley »

Hi,

W1OQ - Extra class (since 1976!) Operate mostly UHF while mobile and VHF with CAP. When I'm out on our boat, I do get on HF, but I never seem to have time for it at home..

73 DE Hartley
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Is there any benefit to learning how to send and receive in Morse these days since it's no longer part of the test?
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

CW is still a viable mode of communications. A lot of oldtimers use it all the time and are quite proficient.

I watched a video not too long ago of a game show that pitted a text message pair of competitors against a CW pair of competitors to send the identical message. The CW won!
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Hartley

Post by Hartley »

Personally, I find CW contacts much more "fulfilling" than voice, but maybe that's just a nod to the "mystery" of it all.. ;)

You don't have to learn it anymore, but many find it rewarding..YMMV.

73 DE Hartley