Help Me Choose: iPhone 6 or Galaxy S5

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
PawPaw

Re: Help Me Choose: iPhone 6 or Galaxy S5

Post by PawPaw »

skb12172 wrote:I have had an Android for the past 3 years. SWMBO has an iPhone 4S. She is upgrading to the iPhone 6. I am undecided. I've used her phone, so I can adapt to either one.
Coupl'a points. First, a man who would use his wife's phone would use her lipstick. Just sayin'.

Second, I've never been an Apple fanboy. Lots of folks like them, but lots of folks like Obama, too. The masses ain't always right, but they're always the masses.

I'm still using my Galaxy 3. It'll do until I need a new one. I use it mainly for texting and phone calls. And, I'm learning to use apps.

Oh, and Apple has that weird, overpriced charger. Get something that uses a micro USB like the rest of the world.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I vote not the Apple, purely from anti-fanboy contrarian principles.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Well, I went with the iPhone 6 Plus, mostly for compatibility within the domestic home unit. As I mentioned, SWMBO went with the iPhone 6 Plus, as well. My home computer is a Mac, plus we have Apple TV, so I can pull up Netflix, Amazon, or YouTube on my new phone, then use that "Airstream" feature to send it to the Apple TV box and watch it on the big screen. They also threw in an LG tablet with data. This will replace my 3 year old Nook Color, which only lets me use Netflix and this forum. It will halfway do Facebook. The tablet isn't cutting edge, but compared to a Nook Color, it's like a super computer compared to a TI-80.

Total cost? Same amount I've been paying for a 3 year old Android with spotty connection.

Did I make a mistake? Depends on how you define mistake. I might have liked the Galaxy better, but considering I've got a cutting edge phone and a near cutting edge tablet with cutting edge data service, and I'm not out any more money, I think I'll be fine with it.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

PawPaw wrote:
skb12172 wrote:I have had an Android for the past 3 years. SWMBO has an iPhone 4S. She is upgrading to the iPhone 6. I am undecided. I've used her phone, so I can adapt to either one.
Coupl'a points. First, a man who would use his wife's phone would use her lipstick. Just sayin'.
You're killin' me, Smalls. Funniest damn thing I've read or heard all day. With your permission, I'm going to use this one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

reason number 347 why I have not bought any Apple products for myself in a long time.

Reasons number 2 thru 346 are how they treat their suppliers and manage their supply change.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Odahi wrote:Once I finally went to a smartphone, I've had Motorola Droids. The "Maxx" line had the best battery in the industry. Now supplanted by the "Turbo." It has a 3900 mAh battery. Also a 21-MP camera. Also Gorilla Glass, and a "Quad HD" display, at 2560 x 1440. Unfortunately, with a Kevlar reinforced back and the Gorilla Glass, it won't fold up to fit in your pocket like an iPhone 6. :lol: I would give it a look, in addition to your other choices. My Droids have been good phones.

Hmmm, that throws another one in the mix for me.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

skb wrote:You're killin' me, Smalls. Funniest damn thing I've read or heard all day. With your permission, I'm going to use this one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't have it copyrighted. Use it at your pleasure.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

skb12172 wrote:Well, I went with the iPhone 6 Plus, mostly for compatibility within the domestic home unit. As I mentioned, SWMBO went with the iPhone 6 Plus, as well. My home computer is a Mac, plus we have Apple TV, so I can pull up Netflix, Amazon, or YouTube on my new phone, then use that "Airstream" feature to send it to the Apple TV box and watch it on the big screen. They also threw in an LG tablet with data. This will replace my 3 year old Nook Color, which only lets me use Netflix and this forum. It will halfway do Facebook. The tablet isn't cutting edge, but compared to a Nook Color, it's like a super computer compared to a TI-80.

Total cost? Same amount I've been paying for a 3 year old Android with spotty connection.

Did I make a mistake? Depends on how you define mistake. I might have liked the Galaxy better, but considering I've got a cutting edge phone and a near cutting edge tablet with cutting edge data service, and I'm not out any more money, I think I'll be fine with it.
Sensible reasons, to be quite honest. I'd have probably made the same call, in your situation.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Much prefer the android os , as a retired geek I view apple products as Satans spawn. The flexability of android vs the proprietary Apple os is not a decision .
I have a Note 3 and love it .
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Greg wrote:Still have the Nexus 4 btw, and I'm still perfectly happy with it. Except it's a little light on storage (16GB only), so I can't be a packrat.
ALL the Google Nexus Devices are light on storage, and don't have SD card slots. This is a deliberate move by Google to force people onto their cloud services.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt