Need some tech help

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Rich

Need some tech help

Post by Rich »

Hi. I moved last week to a new apartment here in El Paso. What I neglected to do was check compatibility with internet cable systems. My new apartment (which I like) is on the fourth (top) floor which apparently lacks cable TV jacks. It does have Ethernet ports however. The building boasts AT&T U-verse wiring. What Is strange is the first three floors do have cable jacks, but not the fourth. My old building changed policies so I had to move quickly, which is never a good thing.

Now, I can go through AT&T and get back on the net and get my wi-fi going again, but the last time I was with them we parted on not so friendly terms, so I would rather explore other options. Oh and installing a dish is against building code.

So, is there another option or company I can go to? If not, I'll bite the bullet and use AT&T.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
randy

Re: Need some tech help

Post by randy »

Rich wrote: Oh and installing a dish is against building code.
You might want to research that. I believe FCC regulations address that by prohibiting building owners, HOAs etc. from forbidding sat dishes, or at the very least puts the burden of proof on them. Not sure how it impacts actual municipal building codes.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rich

Post by Rich »

I don't want to install a dish as the building isn't designed for it (meaning the roof isn't designed for walking around and a dish would be really ugly hanging out the window.). Also I don't want to piss off management before they get to know me.

Ideally I would like to use something like a cell tower or similar to connect to or through. Sadly my practical electronic chops are about twenty years out of date. Good enough for hobby, but not for real life.

Why, I remember back in ought eight................
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Rich wrote:Hi. I moved last week to a new apartment here in El Paso. What I neglected to do was check compatibility with internet cable systems. My new apartment (which I like) is on the fourth (top) floor which apparently lacks cable TV jacks. It does have Ethernet ports however. The building boasts AT&T U-verse wiring. What Is strange is the first three floors do have cable jacks, but not the fourth. My old building changed policies so I had to move quickly, which is never a good thing.

Now, I can go through AT&T and get back on the net and get my wi-fi going again, but the last time I was with them we parted on not so friendly terms, so I would rather explore other options. Oh and installing a dish is against building code.

So, is there another option or company I can go to? If not, I'll bite the bullet and use AT&T.
I had TV with U verse a number of years ago and it was decent, so you could try that.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

What other options do you have (Cox, Spectrum, and you already mentioned Dish, etc., etc.)??
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
JohnEvans

Post by JohnEvans »

Virtual machines are great alternatives offering many advantages compared to traditional computers. You can use reputable solutions to back them up, such as Link Removed tools. This way, you won’t lose your precious data should they crash for whatever reason.

First time poster dropping a commercial link into a thread that is totally out of context with previous discussion? I must be getting mellow in that I haven't banned the poster....yet