Graduating College

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Aglifter

Re: Graduating College

Post by Aglifter »

If possible, consider working for an oil company -- interesting work, pays well -- can pay VERY well -- one of the few areas where engineers can become quite wealthy -- but, it's very high stress, and you do get bounced around quite a bit. Energy companies also tend to have a decent culture, from what I've seen.

If you want to do the military, I would say try it -- personally, I would avoid the BP -- there's a reason they have a manpower shortage. There's tremendous corruption and willful inefficiency, and the people I have known in it, eventually gave up, as it just seemed pointless.

What you need from a first job, is something that can develop contacts, and prove your abilities -- eg, give someone a reason to hire you -- the military can do that, I don't know if working in a utility company can*

*This is assuming you are a highly driven individual -- some people aren't, and like coming in 9-5, putting in their time, and having hobbies -- there's nothing wrong w. that, and a more "civil service" styled job does allow more hobby time, family time, etc.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

There is always that evil company once headed by our current vice president. I know for a fact that they need engineers. 8^)
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

I work for one of the largest gas/oil companies in the world, and my brother is right - we are looking for engineers. Most of what we need are field engineers, and while the work isn't extremely technical, the hours can be long and the work-sites remote. On the flip side, after a year you will be making over $120k/year easily.

PM me your resume if you're interested and I'll see what I can do.
eocoolj

Post by eocoolj »

AlaskaTRX wrote:I work for one of the largest gas/oil companies in the world, and my brother is right - we are looking for engineers. Most of what we need are field engineers, and while the work isn't extremely technical, the hours can be long and the work-sites remote. On the flip side, after a year you will be making over $120k/year easily.

PM me your resume if you're interested and I'll see what I can do.
I greatly appreciate the offer. Sent you an e-mail yesterday.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

One word for you if they make an offer -- Mukluks.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story