Post by blackeagle603 »

Dove opener tomorrow.
Rig is loaded. check
Cooler, Ice, water, gedunk, kippers (heh, heh) & crackers, shells, etc. check
Shotguns cleaned, oiled, preflighted. check
Alarm set for 0300. check
Coffee pot loaded and set to run at 0250. check
Boots, hat, cammie set out. check

Rendevous w/ rest of the crew and roll from Denny's at 0330.

Yeah, sure. Like I can sleep now. tick, tock. tick, tock...
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Rumpshot

Re: Opener!

Post by Rumpshot »

Man you should have been in bed hours ago. Probably would not have helped, but you need to be rested and ready. :lol:
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Goose opener is tomorrow.

Licenses in order. Check.
Shotguns oiled and ready to roll. Check.
Backpack contains-Shells, binos, calls, water, snacks, etc.
Truck is gassed, and ready and waiting.
Wake up is sometime around 10:00 a.m. The sleeping in begins shortly.
My lease "fee" of a suitcase of Millers will be picked up sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Since the quarry I'm going to has trophy trout and pike, we'll also be bringing fishing gear.

Tomorrow promises to be a nice, warm, slow day leading up to afternoon shooting hours. And people ask me why I don't hunt deer...
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Lawd Almighty was it humid! Not as hot as typical this time of year for the Imperial Valley but lots of water standing. Got half a bag myself and pretty happy with it. Esp considering we had to improvise when we found our usual spot wasn't producing.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Glad to hear you had a good day. From your blog entry, it seems like you did alright.

We got to the river (owner of the quarry was out...) about 5:00p.m. We set up under a large oak to wait out the setting sun, and then later moved down into the grasses lining the river. We were dodging quite a few spiders down there. I can't wait for colder weather to drive them in.

It was a slow day, but we saw a large doe crossing the river. I huffed at her, and she stopped, looked towards us, and saw three guys standing up in the grass with shottys. She headed out at about warp 7.5. About an hour later, with mere minutes left in the shooting day, we saw our first flight. Too far out, and couldn't get them to call in. Seconds after that, we saw a second flight headed directly to us. We do our best statue imitations, and they're coming in. They're godawful high and turning to the left, but there's a low one. We all three sight in on the low, slow flier and drop him.

Considering the hot weather, and it's opening day of the early season, I don't think we could have done much better. All in all, a great day on the water. :D